1947 LUSCOMBE ; First 2012 flight (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DFM+BB

Airman 1st Class
Apr 17, 2009
Hello Guy's !

Just wanted to share with you my first 2012 flight in a 1947 LUSCOMBE.
Was a fresh morning over French country side, and a nice slow flight with one of my best friend ( owner of the aircraft ).

Starting the engine by hand was also great fun ( with all serious due to dangerosity of the process ).

Enjoy !

( sorry I can't reduce the size... )

IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2316.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG

Very Cool! Several years ago I helped in the final assembly and first flight of a J3. It wasn't flown in almsot 30 years prior to the restoration. What a rush to get it into the air! A Luscombe is a great plane, I'd love to own one. Best of luck!!!!

This forum is about WWII aircraft but I have to admit that some PreWWII aircraft are pretty well designed, as the Caudron C460 or the L-12 Electra.

If you want I made some pic of the US recreation of the C460, with the owner's agreement, while it was in France. Can I post them ?

Hi Guys !

Sorry I get difficulties to found pics.
I just foud 2 of them.
This is the C460 Replica made by a great guy named Mr. Lightsey.
his website : Aerocraftsman — Vintage Aircraft Restoration Replicas

C460.jpg

C4602.jpg

On this particular day this aircraft was flown by a former memeber of the french army flight test center ( CEV ).
This aicraft seems pretty hard to fly, as the pilot gets out with his hands nearly shaking ( emotion ? ) ; it is really small too, when I closed the canopy my head couldn't turn left or right, and pilot needs special radio helmet.
Great to see it flying anyway !

FLYBOJ :
Do you have pics of the restoration ? It is always nice to see great work.

Hi Guys !

Sorry I get difficulties to found pics.
I just foud 2 of them.
This is the C460 Replica made by a great guy named Mr. Lightsey.
his website : Aerocraftsman — Vintage Aircraft Restoration Replicas

View attachment 206591
View attachment 206592

On this particular day this aircraft was flown by a former memeber of the french army flight test center ( CEV ).
This aicraft seems pretty hard to fly, as the pilot gets out with his hands nearly shaking ( emotion ? ) ; it is really small too, when I closed the canopy my head couldn't turn left or right, and pilot needs special radio helmet.
Great to see it flying anyway !

FLYBOJ :
Do you have pics of the restoration ? It is always nice to see great work.

Very cool...

Here ya go...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/off-topic-misc/project-7424.html

WOW ! really good work !
I'd love to fly one of these J-3/L-4 one day ( Ialso dream of an Fi156...but this is a dream ).

I don't know much about retstoring old birds like that, isthere a way to proceed, like :
- get documentation
- strip off the aircraft and inventory
- and .... ??? because there is so much to do, electrical, metal work, engine....

how do you proceed ?

The story of that rebuild was very interesting...

The short story;

The aircraft was partially restored at the "New" Taylorcraft company. The owner took the aircraft from the facility when they went bankrupt. It was covered and the engine was just overhauled. The FAA "red tagged" the aircraft because of some of the things done by Taylorcraft. When I had the plane complete and ready to fly I took photos of the repaired discrepancies and signed the aircraft off (I'm an A&P/IA). The FAA inspector who I worked with was pretty easy going considering he knew I was going to make the first flight.

For one reason or another it took 2 years to re assemble (a lot of small missing parts). One of the most rewarding projects I ever worked on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back