B-17 Crashes in Ilinois (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good to know the crew are safe, but a B17 lost - and now the wait for the 'legacy' of the accident. No doubt there will be some groups calling for the banning of flights by warbirds, as there normally is after such incidents.

It's Liberty Belle alright and she is a total loss. From the photos, her entire fuselage section from Cockpit to waist gunner positions is gone. :( I saw this plane once. She was a beauty.

Very sad news. Looks like she'll be good for salvagable parts at best.
Would question the decision to fly her for the airshow having been grounded for mechanical problems...

A very sad day that fortunately did not include loss of life. Another mortally wounded Flying Fortress carries on the tradition of saving her crew. I hope the cause of her death was not due to negligence. That would be very sad. I worry that within the lifetime of anyone alive today the sight of a flying B-17 maybe nothing but a memory.

Co-worker just told me about this. He did not know the name of the aircraft other that it was a B-17 and it crashed near Chicago. Forst thought was that it was the Liberty Belle. She was just in Minneapolis a week ago, did not get a chance to go see her though.
Glad to hear no one was injured, but it saddens me that a piece of history has been lost.

Sad to see her lying on the ground in flames like her many counterparts did during the war, thankfully the crew is ok.
Another Flying Fort accomplishes its mission, saving its crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back