British Currency-Please explain Pounds and Quid? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Messy1

Master Sergeant
Nov 21, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I have been watching for some time a British show off the satellite called Wheeler Dealers. For those not familiar with this show, the basis of the show is that one of the hosts buys a car for as little as possible, and the other host who is a mechanic repairs what ever needs fixed and the car is then hopefully sold for a profit.

Now my question is this. I hear the hosts talk about spending money in pounds and quid. Sometimes he switches back and forth between the two terms. I have been wanting to know for a while, what is the difference between pounds and quid, and when is it right to use each term? Is one just a slang term similar to how dollars are sometimes called bucks here in the States?

No difference at all
one is the legitimate term for our currency, the other is a slang term, much like your having dollars and bucks.

You should note that there is no plural of quid; you can have a quid in your pocket, or ten quid. You can't really say one quid either, well, you can but it will sound a bit odd to a native so "it will cost you a quid" rather than "it will cost you one quid"

Ok, Thanks Colin. That is what I was thinking. I have heard on the show the host do a rundown of parts list and costs where the terms are both used for higher and lower amounts and was a little confused.

Very well explained Colin. You should charge at least a couple of quid for that !
Steve

Here Colin! Feel free to keep the extra as a tip for the info! I appreciate it!

Attachments

• small 5 pound note.jpg
    small 5 pound note.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 104,412
*Bryon hopes he is not implicated in Colin's counterfeiting scam!

It's in the washing machine as we speak
they'll never trace it back to you, I have a very comprehensive money-laundering operation here

Yeah, I know - I'll see myself out...

Thanks for explaining. I have heard the same terms when I watch "Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare's" and wondered the same thing.

I'm sure copying currency can't be legal!

Note: always "quid", never "quids", which I have heard well-meaning but underinformed Americans say.

See also "nicker", "beer tokens" and "brass margarets".

Also:

a pony - 25 quid
a ton - 100 quid
a monkey - 500 quid
a grand - 1000 quid (obviously)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back