Friggin ticks!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've walked one of my dogs and picked off 16 ticks: 7 I caught while walking him; the other 9 at home. He didn't get Lyme, which was nice (he was, however, later attacked by a neighbor's akita, and came home from the vet's with an Elizabethan collar, 4 drains, and about 16 stitches, and, probably, a back injury).

Evil creatures, ticks are. The worst thing is that the ticks that carry Lyme are usually too small to see.

Last edited:
Another insect born disease to watch out for is leishmania ( sandfly fever ) - it's endemic in a lot of hot countries. It certainly is here, we lost one of our Ridgies to it last year :(

I'm glad your dog is home and feeling a bit better, that's good news.

Torch, just caught this thread. I echo +++ what Bobby posted. NEVER "pull" a tick off. A feeding tick is like an eyedroper. If you grab the ticks butt and squeeze you will push all the stuff IN the tick INTO the dog (or you). Dawn does not work nor any other "soap/detergent". The small tweezers are excellent but again you must grab the ticks head (very difficult if it has had time to dig in). A stiff plastic credit card also works very well, again pushing against the head. There is also a special slotted "tool" which is slipped over the tick and then rotated which moves the tick deeper into the narowing slot.
For a really dugin tick a drop of straight flea/tick shampoo will work but it takes time

Attachments

• TickTwister-2T.jpg
    TickTwister-2T.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 127
Mike, you and Torch are both right. The disease is a spirochete that is in the saliva of the tick. When you aggressively pull the tick and separate his head, he "spits" back into your body the saliva with the disease. If you get the head, you don't risk the chance of him "spitting" the spirochete.

When I worked at a Vet Clinic we would have dogs come in white gums as ticks and fleas had sucked out so much blood. I do not recall what the shampoo we used was called but it would quickly kill them.

I have heard alot of the advice out there about how to "properly dispose" of the ticks, once they've been removed.

Some say flush them down the toilet, others recommend putting the ticks in a ziplock bag that contains rubbing alcohol. And so and so on. Not us...once we removed those nasty bastards, we'd toss 'em into the woodstove.

Kill them with fire, it's the only way :evil4:

I lost a dog to Shellback ticks years agao. Nasty little buggers. Paralyse the animal including their ability to breath and pump blood. I lost my dog, because he got a tick between the pores of his front feet where the tick wash wasnt effective.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/160321/paralysis-ticks.pdf

I hope your dog comes through.

Isn't just about all the fauna in Australia poisonous? I mean, come on, isn't there a bird with poisonous feathers?

As for tick disposal? I prefer drowning. I want them to suffer. Fire's too quick.

Isn't just about all the fauna in Australia poisonous? I mean, come on, isn't there a bird with poisonous feathers?

As for tick disposal? I prefer drowning. I want them to suffer. Fire's too quick.
I don't think anything in Australia is NOT lethal in one way or another. It wouldn't surprise me if plain old gravel rubbed on the skin would kill a guy inside of a day or so...

As far as the ticks go, I would occasionally toss them on top of the stove if it was stoked up. That offered about 30 seconds of payback.

Drowning is to easy on 'em...makes 'em go peaceful-like.

How would you like to be fighting in the Solomons and New Guinea knowing that deadly ticks were known to be hiding in the underbrush just waiting for you?

I used to stomp,burn, drown the little sob's. Now I will keep them for awhile until i'm sure the dog and us humans are not sick,,,,then I will stomp,burn and drown the little sob's...

I used to stomp,burn, drown the little sob's. Now I will keep them for awhile until i'm sure the dog and us humans are not sick,,,,then I will stomp,burn and drown the little sob's...

Sulfuric acid should do nicely. I think. Damned things are pretty tough.

Usually, when they're checked to see if they have anything nasty (other than their basic nature), they're squished between a cover slip and a slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back