'Hitler's Stealth Fighter' on National Geographic

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, The front view was the major concern. We took alot of care to make the replica accurate. Even down to the fan blades... The Horten bros figured out the stability issue. It was to put the cg more forward and the engine exausts up on the aft deck. It had a stabalizing effect. Jack Northrop haddent figured that out until the enterance of the B2. Also the exaust placement made a big difference in radar detection. Compare the aft deck/b2.... Any more questions? Id be glad to try to answer them.

Tim Knott

Great work, man! You said you are working on the "Amerika Bomber" next?

Hello.After watching the show I searched and came across this site.Here's a short(55 pages) e-book on the Ho 229.
More a picture book with text than anything.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

password is megamag

I hope you enjoy it because I enjoyed reading this forum.

Hmm... why did hortenmann delete/edit all his posts ?

While I very much enjoyed the program and wish I had this mock-up in my yard (I mean really, did you see them make the cockpit out of plastic tubing and the instrument panel? Awesome stuff!) I took exception to I believe it was the author David Myra's claim that the Ho 9/Go 229 was test flown an "unknown" number of times and that it was actually tested head to head against the Me 262 in a dogfight and bested it. Now granted he says he spoke to the Horten brothers and I'm not disputing that, but it all adds up in my eyes to creeping Luftwaffe revisionist history. Claims for their aircraft or personnel that slowly grow over time. Like paper-planes that now are claimed to have achieved the mock-up stage and if the war had lasted just a tiny bit more would have been available in the hundred to turn back the allies. I have always accepted the somewhat less grandiose claim that the Ho 9 V2 was flown once, against the express wishes of the brothers, simply by the mistake of it having achieved flying speed while doing high speed taxi testing and that it crashed on that flight after hitting a railroad embankment on approach to landing with one engine out. What is the truth? The safe bet is the less startling. Someone is lying or just plain wrong, though I'm certainly not the last word on this…

The Ho IX V1 was tested by the Hortens, without power. The V1 crash landed, not sure if they ever repaired it or not, but the project at that time was handed over to Gotha.

The Ho IX V2 was tested and flown by the Gotha team...The V2 was destroyed when one of the Jumo 004 engines caught on fire during a flight, causing it to crash land.

The Ho229 everyone is familiar with, is the Ho IX V3...which never flew.

I have never heard or read about any competition between the Ho229 and a Me262, not saying that it didn't happen, but if it did, I would think that it would have been written down somewhere.

The only notable competition (demonstration) between a prototype and another aircraft, was in 1941 where the He280 shamed a Fw190.

The Ho IX V1 was tested by the Hortens, without power. The V1 crash landed, not sure if they ever repaired it or not, but the project at that time was handed over to Gotha.

The Ho IX V2 was tested and flown by the Gotha team...The V2 was destroyed when one of the Jumo 004 engines caught on fire during a flight, causing it to crash land.

The Ho229 everyone is familiar with, is the Ho IX V3...which never flew.

I have never heard or read about any competition between the Ho229 and a Me262, not saying that it didn't happen, but if it did, I would think that it would have been written down somewhere.

The only notable competition (demonstration) between a prototype and another aircraft, was in 1941 where the He280 shamed a Fw190.

The Ho-229 V2 was flown by the Horten brothers team and had nothing to do with Gotha. Gotha build the Ho-229 V3 and the other models after it that was seized after the war by the US Army. The Horten Brothers build the Ho-229 V2 and not Gotha. Due to the fact that the Horten brothers could not do the production them selfs of the planes they contracted Gotha to help them build the aircraft and that is why Gotha was involved, but that was after the crash of the V2 prototype. Gotha never had anything to do with the building of the V1 or V2 prototypes. Gotha was involved in the testing of the V2 aircraft when the 2 brothers were working on the Ho-18 America bomber.

Well they did get their info from the notes of the Horten brothers so I do think that their info is correct, but their may be mistakes.

Last edited:
I would happily be proven wrong, but I don't think there was any intentional stealth proprties in the design at all, and that the flm makers are just using the Stealth theme as a selling angle.

As much as I love the Ho IX V3, I agree with Joe that she would have been outclassed by the 50's already too, especially against the likes of the MiG-15, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back