Tragedy in Poland

OFF-Topic / Misc. Discuss Tragedy in Poland in the Current forums; Some 500 people were in the trade hall in Katowice for a pigeon exhibition when the roof caved in - ...

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Tragedy in Poland

Some 500 people were in the trade hall in Katowice for a pigeon exhibition when the roof caved in - possibly under the weight of snow - on Saturday. Hopes of finding any more survivors are fading after a building collapsed in southern Poland, killing at least 65 people, rescuers said. Among the dead and some 140 injured were Poles, Belgians and Germans. Hundreds of rescuers with sniffer dogs worked through the night as temperatures dropped to minus 15C.
    Rescuers have been blowing warm air into the wreckage to increase the chances of survival for those still inside. Police said people had been telephoning from inside on mobile phones, reporting dead bodies near them.
    But no-one had been found alive since 2100 GMT Saturday.

Attached Images  

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn.

Der Crew Chief DerAdlerIstGelandet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Country II
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it on the news this morning. I am sorry to hear about it. Our town flew up to Poland a rescue dog team. I dont know if they will be able to help but hopefully they can do something.

fly boy:"isnt that the first jet bomber becasue i have flown one in a flight sim before and i know how it handles"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    A tragedy.

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been keeping my eye on this for the past few days. The death toll has risen rapidly over the past 24 hours, from 11-12 originally to 60! It's that cold that is killing them.
    "When you go home tomorrow, don't expect anyone to know what you have been through. Even if they did know, most people probably wouldn't care anyway. Some of you may get the medals you deserve, many more of you will not. But remember this, all of you are now members of the front-line club, and that is the most exclusive club in the world." - Lt. Col. Matthew Maer CO 1st Battalion, the Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment. Camp Abu Naji, Oct. 2004

To those in that club.

Country
    United States
    Country II
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope atleast some one is found alive.

fly boy:"isnt that the first jet bomber becasue i have flown one in a flight sim before and i know how it handles"

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    They've pulled quite a few out of the wreckage. A few foreign nationals have been found from Holland, Belgium and various other European countries. Most, of course, are Polish ... I have to ask, does Poland have building safety standards?
    "When you go home tomorrow, don't expect anyone to know what you have been through. Even if they did know, most people probably wouldn't care anyway. Some of you may get the medals you deserve, many more of you will not. But remember this, all of you are now members of the front-line club, and that is the most exclusive club in the world." - Lt. Col. Matthew Maer CO 1st Battalion, the Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment. Camp Abu Naji, Oct. 2004

To those in that club.

Country
    United States
    Country II
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many of the buildings are probably still from the old Soviet Bloc time and from seeing what they did in the former East Germany they are not the same standards as we have.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd think that the EU would at least nudge them towards better safety standards now they're in it. But I suppose it's too much effort on the part of the suits.

To those in that club.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Country
    Czech Republic
    Country II
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear this.
    "He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too." - Airplane!

Memory of Nation

Why Did Hitler Want Czechoslovakia

WW2 Was A War That Had To Be Fought!

Children of Hamas

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's nasty...

Country
    Czech Republic
    Country II
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like
    saw a small medailon about it on the czech tv yesteray. among the victims, there are also two czech citizens.
    "He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too." - Airplane!

Memory of Nation

Why Did Hitler Want Czechoslovakia

WW2 Was A War That Had To Be Fought!

Children of Hamas