What book are you reading ?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
I just started "Shinano". Every one knows about Japan's "super" battleships,
Yamato and Musashi, but there was a third hull laid down for another
battleship. After Japan's losses at Midway, the third hull was converted
to a "super aircraft carrier".... at 77,000 tons !! This was "Shinano"....

Charles

Just finished A Glorious Way To Die, the story of the Yamato's suicide mission to Okinawa. Book also included alot about the Kamikazi attacks on the ships supporting the invasion.

Now reading Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose, one of my favorite authors. Book covers the War in the ETO from June 7, 1944 to May 7, 1945.

TO

Going back and forth between 2 books (when I get a break from packing)
"The German Army: 1933-1945" by Matthew Cooper and "Hitler's Greatest Defeat:The collapse of Army Group Center, June 1944" by Paul Adair. Gives alot of insight into the behind the scenes decisions.

Various at the moment
The Lake in the woods - Tim O'brien about a Vietnam Vet

Is History Fiction - Two Australian Doctors talking about historians slanting history to fit their own beliefs

A walk in the woods - Bill Bryson humourous account of his travels

Crimes against humanity - Documenting just that

A walk in the woods - Bill Bryson humourous account of his travels

Anything by Bill Bryson is awesome!
Just finished "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" a few months ago..I spent the night reading it in one setting..I got hooked the first page.
Art

Yes I love Bryson.

Finished notes from a small country recently and loved it. Being half english it really hit home.

I also have his account about Australia once I finish a Walk in the woods.

Just pick this book up from a charity shop for £6.50 Fighters by W Green and G Swanborough it gives details of 1700 fighter aircraft over the last 80 odd years.

I read a lot of WWI history, mainly ANZAC topics but I have a knowledge of most aspects of this war.
Apart from reference material, I have just finished '18 Hours' by Sandra Lee. It's about the Aussie SAS in Afghanistan, in particular Signalman Jock Wallace of the 152 Signal Squadron SASR and how he won the Medal of Gallantry. Correct me if I am wrong. But, I believe this is our equivalent to the VC.

At the moment I'm reading 'Little Big Man' by Thomas Berger. I love this book, it's a great story. :thumbup:

Another of my favorites is 'The Silmarillion' by J.R.Tolkien.I have read this many times over the years, and whenever I want a bit of escapism fantasy I'll reach for this.:p

Just finished Sven Hassel's books and now I have no idea what to read....I'll find something around here :)

Just pick this book up from a charity shop for £6.50 Fighters by W Green and G Swanborough it gives details of 1700 fighter aircraft over the last 80 odd years.

Great book..Great price! I bought that tome in 1994 and for $A125.00!

Going back and forth between 2 books (when I get a break from packing)
"The German Army: 1933-1945" by Matthew Cooper and "Hitler's Greatest Defeat:The collapse of Army Group Center, June 1944" by Paul Adair. Gives alot of insight into the behind the scenes decisions.

Njaco will have some new reading material soon......

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back