Whats the speed of dark ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008
What is the speed of dark ?. Is it affected by vacuum...total or partial.... gravity, atmospheric density.

We know there is a 'speed of light' and its measurable, but is the speed of dark faster ?. When a light source is switched off, the dark is there straight away !

Over to you

The speed of dark is faster as it is not affected by gravity

But we all know that light is affected by gravity....black holes ?....so it should also affect the dark. Gravity has a known velocity as confirmed by NASA (check out the NASA website for further details) so that would imply that it should also affect the dark.

Newton stated in one of his famous laws that for every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action. So....would a balck hole slow down the dark or would it also speed it up ?

Personally I reckon that dark is faster cos if you switch the light off in a room and it goes dark, its instant. Its not like...'oh, its getting a bit darker...and darker still...ok, now its dark !', its instantaneous, so therefore the dark has to be faster to get where the light was the exact instant its no longer there.

But we all know that light is affected by gravity....black holes ?....so it should also affect the dark. Gravity has a known velocity as confirmed by NASA (check out the NASA website for further details) so that would imply that it should also affect the dark.

Newton stated in one of his famous laws that for every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action. So....would a balck hole slow down the dark or would it also speed it up ?

Personally I reckon that dark is faster cos if you switch the light off in a room and it goes dark, its instant. Its not like...'oh, its getting a bit darker...and darker still...ok, now its dark !', its instantaneous, so therefore the dark has to be faster to get where the light was the exact instant its no longer there.
The speed of dark is zero
Dark cannot move or travel, it is only the absence of light. If gravity cannot influence it, it can have no mass and if it has no mass it can retain no energy. Luminance is the accession of light, at light speed. It does not therefore follow that darkness is the accession of dark, it is merely the recession of light. Any change in luminance is only relative to the speed of light.

Gravity by the way, is a form of acceleration, not velocity - 9.8m/s/s

For my next question: what is the speed of no electricity in a conductor?

The speed of dark is zero
If gravity cannot influence it, it can have no mass and if it has no mass it can retain no energy.
Gravity by the way, is a form of acceleration, not velocity - 9.8m/s/s

Gravity travels at the speed of light. Dr. Eric Christian (October 2001).

Light cannot move or travel either....if I momentarily switch a torch on and off, I dont see a cylinder of a light beam shooting away into the distance like a lazer shot from a x-wing fighter..... but it is still affected by gravity over a distance.

Jan is the one to answer this question. As we all know, he drinks Guinness, which, of course, is very dark. I do believe it comes out faster than it went in, and produces a distinctive noise, presumably a sonic 'boom' (so I've been told), therfore it must be at least faster than the speed of sound.....

I think the speed of dark relates to twilight. The length of twilight after sunset and before sunrise is heavily influenced by the latitude of the observer. In the Arctic and Antarctic regions, twilight (if at all) can last for several hours.
This is because at low latitudes the sun's apparent movement is perpendicular to the observer's horizon. As one gets closer to the Arctic and Antarctic circles, the sun's disk moves toward the observer's horizon at a lower angle. The observer's earthly location will pass through the various twilight zones less directly, taking more time.

Interesting subject...

But dark doesn't travel (or move in a perceptable fashion) since it's always present.

When you turn off the light in the room, the darkness seems to fill the room as the lamp shuts off, but in actuality the light diminishes from the darkness.

An analogy would be an empty glass. It is just a void until someone fills it with liquid. So you don't ask "how fast the void travels", you ask how fast the liquid fills the glass. The same could be said for pouring out the liquid. You don't gauge the speed the void of the glass increses, you measure how fast the liquid flows from the glass...

Jan is the one to answer this question. As we all know, he drinks Guinness, which, of course, is very dark. I do believe it comes out faster than it went in, and produces a distinctive noise, presumably a sonic 'boom' (so I've been told), therfore it must be at least faster than the speed of sound.....

:lol:

So, due to the higher viscosity of dark, when comapred to light, then it must travel slower. Exactly how much slower would depend on the temperature of said dark...

What is the speed of dark ?. Is it affected by vacuum...total or partial.... gravity, atmospheric density.

Over to you

It depends on if dark is a boy or a girl.

Boy dark is faster than girl dark.

Now if we were to ask the intelligence of dark......... THAT would be a whole 'nuther conversation.

(((runs away and finds cover!!!!!!!)))

....and the reason for you getting a 1/32 Wildcat showed up your tailpipe was....?

In Genesis, God is reported to have said, "Let there be light!".

From this we can derive the plausible conclusion that dark somehow arrived 'there' first, and hence further make the plausible and parsimonious inference that it did so because dark is inherently faster than light. As light possesses a maximum velocity (in vacuum) of 300,000 km/sec, it follows that dark has a MINIMUM velocity (in vacuum) of 300,000+ km/sec.

QED

JL

I have to disagree, the Speed of Dark is slooooooooooooooooooow.

I base this on an incidence when I was in um "involved" with a girlfriend when my mom walked in. I hit the light switch but it took forever for the darkness to appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back