Best Aircraft in many different roles (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeomanz

Senior Airman
Nov 25, 2004
UK
The idea , E.g i think the 110 is the best aircraft in different roles because it was a good fighter/bomber and a good night fighter ect ect ...

you get the idea ?

Mossie ranks right up there, so does P-47, fighter, bomber, and the old warhorse P-40 jack of all trades, but the Germans were the masters of multi-role aircraft.

I agree Pope , the Ju-88 had tons of roles like CC stated , though i wouldnt paticualy imagine it as a Night fighter :)

the lancaster kicks ass said:
but it was used as a night fighter, best was the mossie though.............

i know it was i was just saying i didnt thnk i Ju-88 was a good idea for nighgtfighter :) ;)

Anything I've seen said the Ju88 was a pretty good NF...

The Ju 88 night-fighter was a refined and formidable aircraft, with a powerful armament, excellent agility and advanced electronic sensors. It is therefore appropriate that Ju 88 night-fighters destroyed more Allied night bombers in WW2 than all other fighters combined.

Yeomanz said:
I dont no much about it , but i'd say it would be a tad to heavy :)

If anything the Mossie would have been too heavy; the P-38 was best because it could carry a similar payload, only slightly less range, a MUCH better fighter, extremely accurate at ground attack, potentially superb NF (If it had seem more service) Excellent at recce, and it was extremely tough. It was also known that Dick Bong could get his P-38 to turn INSIDE Zero's, which says a lot about the manoeverability.

how can you be sure the zero was turning it's tightest?? anything could outmanouver a zero at 250+mph.................

it could carry a similar payload, only slightly less range

it had a good range if it had no ordinance, the P-38L's range with 3,200lbs was 450 miles..................

Yeah but thats on internal fuel, its nearer 900 with Droptanks.

Dick Bong encountered Zero's on many occasions, and on the accounts I read its been said that he could regularly turn inside them.

Yeah but thats on internal fuel, its nearer 900 with Droptanks

if it was carrying ordinance how could it carry fuel as well??

and on the accounts I read its been said that he could regularly turn inside them.

that doesn't answer my question, how do you know the zero was turning it's tightest?? anything could outmanouver a zero at 250+mph..............

The point I was making was that if he'd faced Zero's on several occasionas, its more than likely he turned inside them below that speed on at least a couple of occasions.

The Mossie, easily. The best night-fighter of the war, an excellent low-level fighter-bomber, an almost uncatchable night bomber able to deliver a 4,000 lb 'cookie' to Berlin, one version even mounted a high-velocity 57mm gun for anti-sub work.

Nothing else came close: the Ju 88 was slower, the P-38 too limited. Second place would probably go to the Soviet Pe-3, a very fast twin-engined dive bomber which was also made in a heavy fighter version. A most impressive plane, but you don't hear much about it in the west.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back