The best biplane fighter of the war (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Come, come, now even the Germans had to take the spats off the wheels of their Ju87's - the Italians didn't realise that it would make 'em faster if they did it to their CR42's. Gladiators Swordfish , gallant biplanes...and the Tiger Moth WAS built by De Havilland ...

They were all excellent biplanes, except the Ju87 :shock: (i think the only way to make it a crapper bomber was to make it a biplane! - how many biplane dive-bombers have you ever heard of that were any good? :shock:)

The Tigermoth obviously had the capability to do something in a combat role...but what exactl? apart from the strange ideas the Brits had for anti-invasion...

A good biplane dive bomber? For example the Henschel Hs 123:

The Hs 123 first experienced combat in the Spanish Civil war and helped define the role of the close air support aircraft for the Luftwaffe. The type proved to be exceptionally useful during the Polish campaign and even though production had ceased before WWII the Hs 123 soldiered on through 1944. The type proved so useful in it's role that it was deployed to the Balkans in 1941 where it proved readily adaptable to the harsh conditions found in that theatre. Although threatened with imminent replacement, no type was developed that could completely replace this aircraft and the type was used until there were none left.

hs123-1.jpg

Attachments

• hs123-1.jpg
    hs123-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 185
Samu said:
A good biplane dive bomber? For example the Henschel Hs 123:

The Hs 123 first experienced combat in the Spanish Civil war and helped define the role of the close air support aircraft for the Luftwaffe. The type proved to be exceptionally useful during the Polish campaign and even though production had ceased before WWII the Hs 123 soldiered on through 1944. The type proved so useful in it's role that it was deployed to the Balkans in 1941 where it proved readily adaptable to the harsh conditions found in that theatre. Although threatened with imminent replacement, no type was developed that could completely replace this aircraft and the type was used until there were none left.

I thought it was a fighter?

You think the Gemans built the best biplane fighter of the war?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

please! remember my heart condition! i can't laugh this hard for long before I keel over! :lol: :lol:

kiwimac said:
The HS 123 was not in the Gladiator's class but, having said that, it could hold its own. Nope it was a ground-attack biplane not a fighter.

kiwimac

So you agree that when in the 'fighter' role it didn't outclass the Gladiator?

Yes Bronze I do. But if you look at my posts you'll see I never said otherwise. The HS 123 was a fine ground attack biplane that could hold its own with fighters generally.

Kiwimac

kiwimac said:
Yes Bronze I do. But if you look at my posts you'll see I never said otherwise. The HS 123 was a fine ground attack biplane that could hold its own with fighters generally.

Kiwimac

well you can hardly blame me for making that simple mistake...it IS the best biplane fighter thread after all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back