Why did hitler invade the soviet union? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah anyway no one has really conquered Russia have they???
The bloody winter does the soldiers work(Kill of the enemy):lol:

The Rumanian oil fields weren't running dry, if you will, but production was dropping significantly. And the Caucasian oil fields were one of the rather large reasons behind the invasion. In fact, the whole reason for the 1942 campaign in Russia was the capture of the oil fields, with Stalingrad not even a minor target. Hitler redirected the entire focus of his campaign to take Stalin's city.

We all no why he bloody invaded The Soviet Union, it's because it was the main enemy of nazism before the war and Hitler was off to anhilate comunism and get rid of the so-called inferior races.Not because of the so-called I'm running low on petrol I better invade the Soviet Union before I run out.Pleaseeee.
(Excuse language) :lol:

Stuka-99 said:
We all no why he bloody invaded The Soviet Union, it's because it was the main enemy of nazism before the war and Hitler was off to anhilate comunism and get rid of the so-called inferior races.Not because of the so-called I'm running low on petrol I better invade the Soviet Union before I run out.Pleaseeee.
(Excuse language) :lol:

"Off to annihilate communism" my arse! yes, he would have gotten around to it sooner or later, but the fact that he needed another supply of oil to keep his war machine running was one of the main reasons he attacked when he did. Not the only reason, I grant you, but a main one

No need to excuse the language. English as a lovely language :D ;)

There were many reasons why Hitler invaded Russia. And one was to destroy the Bolsheviks, another to gain living space, and a third to destroy the 'unter-menschen' (Sub-Humans);Slavs, Jews and any other indesirable race. These were Hitlers reasons.

Tactical Reasons, are to gain more industrial base, oil fields and to capture technology, and equipment. The fuel argument cannot be held up for those arguing for or against. Oil was all over, and there were large oil fields in North Africa, he could have gone there to capture oil. There was no need to go Russia, however Russia was easier to get to and the Caucasus oil fields were large.
Now the Third Reichs fuel supply was going to be run off synthetic fuels, and alternative fuel supplies i.e Gas. This was said in 1934 and although the production was increased, and consumption of conventional oil was reduced from 1,920,000 metric tons of imported oil in 1935 to 1,382,620 metric tonnes in 1936 by 1939 synthetic fuels still didn't make up enough. Although by then it was at approx 700,000 metric tonnes a year.

Attacking in June 1941 for oil is far from the reason. I've said before, and that's the true reason. Surprise, Hitler needed to hit them before they had re-equipped their aging forces which was to be ready in Spring 1942.

Stalingrad was very important, for a start it's a city with a huge industrial base. It holds a large population, therefore a large garrison of the enemy. Which if left untouched would be a threat at your flank. It was right next to the Caucasus oil fields, so capturing it would give an effective garrison to cover the fields, and also a place to process and use the captured oil effciently, and most importantly ship it out quickly.

Stuka-99 said:
Case closed then hehehe :lol:

Pffft. Yhou don't know people here if you think the case is closed. :lol:
:p

Stalingrad was very important, for a start it's a city with a huge industrial base. It holds a large population, therefore a large garrison of the enemy. Which if left untouched would be a threat at your flank. It was right next to the Caucasus oil fields, so capturing it would give an effective garrison to cover the fields, and also a place to process and use the captured oil effciently, and most importantly ship it out quickly.

In this you are (at least partially) correct. Leaving Stalingrad alone would have threatened the flank enormously. But it wasn't even a minor concern of the invading forces until conditions made the capture of the city a neccesity (including Hitler's own premature boasting)

BTW, I'm pulling most of my information from a book by the name of 'Stopped ar Stalingrad; the Luftwaffe and Hitler's Deafeat in the East'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back