War Thunder General Discussion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GingahNinja

Airman 1st Class
Nov 27, 2013
Boston
So I figured here would be the perfect area for just a general discussion thread on the game. Anything goes here from new patch updates, to complaining about which plane is "OP". Feel free to talk about some of your adventures in the game including awesome moments and the fails lol.

I have wanted to talk about my endeavors/opinions in the game for some time but haven't had a place to generally put them on this forums so I decided to just make a new thread.

My first thought/topic is for the new patch coming out soon.

According to the WT website, the developers are going to allow users to create their own custom camo schemes on planes/tanks (when released). I am incredibly excited about this. I went to school for 3D Animation and Video Game design so this little tidbit is going to sit right at home with me. I am anxious to see what kind of design's I can come up with, however it also depends on how the camo schemes are made.

eNtak, a War Thunder youtuber, has shown a couple videos of how he is designing camo's for the ground forces testing which he is currently part of. It appears from the videos that he just make a square pattern and saves the file in Photoshop as a Targa file. I hope for at least the planes that they make the design a little bit more in-depth as I'd love to be able to recreate some of the famous planes and their artwork, IE: P-51 Old Crow/Big Beautiful Doll.

I'm also excited to hopefully get some access into the Ground Forces which looks incredibly fun.

So yesterday I decided to take out the Ole' Do-217 J-2 out for a spin in FRB/SB and would up having two GREAT games. The armament this plane packs is just devastating. 4x 7.92mm MG's and 4x 20mm MG151 guns. Just tears through planes like it was nothing.

My first game I had 2 ground kills and 5 air kills. and for my second game I had 3 ground kills and 3 air kills.

Today I had a couple good runs in it early this morning and was actually chased by youtuber "PHClosterman" (like the pilot and I suggest you check out his videos he's a great FRB/SB player) He was chasing me in his Pe-2 and tried shooting me down with rockets haha! He missed and got shot down and I mis judged my altitude over a river and crashed in the water...oops!

I had an amazing Arcade battle the other day in a F4F-3...shot down 5 enemies with one of them being the feared Bf-109 E-3! Even managed to land my rig and get back into the fight after being damaged!

Everyone playing Ground Forces?

Loving the Russian tank tree only because they are a bit "broken" lol so it's less stressful than playing as Germans and losing every match.

On to the planes, I unlocked the F8F-1 which is as of now pretty good but as a prop plane going against jets....isn't very fun lol. Also have unlocked the F4U-1C which destroys Japanese planes if you fly it correctly, however flying it against the Germans I get smoked every time by Dora's.

I'm still down low on the tiers...mostly because every time I get on I'm on the team that doesn't have the planes that are 1 rank above the set battle rank for the engagement (i.e. join a rank 2 game, and I'm on the team with actual rank 2 sets of plans, VS the team with rank 3 planes).

Got ya...you still only playing AB games? If so I'd highly highly recommend playing some RB games especially during the x2/x4 events. Some easy planes to use in RB are Spit MkIIb, P40, Su2/I153/I16, Ki-61 and Mc202 (respectively for each nation of course)

Just a tip. I'll probably be on the game later tonight around midnight, playing both ground forces and air battles. I just unlocked the F8F-1 and it is a pain in the ass to fly cause I get tiered into jet games lol... and a stock F8F stands no chance against jets lol.

WarThunder has some SERIOUS play issues.

MOUSE flying is really cheating, as the "Instructor" feature to compensate for the simplified mouse input makes flying almost like cheating.
WORSE: Mouse flying is BETTER than using Joystick. It has been pointed out by dozens of "professional" players, but it has not changed.
The "simulation" side of game where one cannot use Mouse is almost empty with lack of players, <5% of total games, versus Arcade which is about 65%

Fight Models and Damage models are also wonky at best, with a belief Russian airplanes do much better than historical.

That said, WT has a lot going for it. I only hope Gaijin will actually fix the FM/DM and improve Joystick play.

Agreed...I understand that the company is Russian in origin, so some historical buffing takes place...but when the early tiers are still easiest to manage as a Russian pilot this far along into the games life...wow...just wow.

Agreed...I understand that the company is Russian in origin, so some historical buffing takes place...but when the early tiers are still easiest to manage as a Russian pilot this far along into the games life...wow...just wow.

Early?
Later tiers are full of big gun Russian fighters that will dismember anything with one shot, yet I am finding opposite is true with other nations.
It may be player bias but Germand and Japanese planes seem to be less effective, and it is true their cannons are not quite as powerful, most likely I am a bad aim.
Good research needs to be done to be sure.

I do agree with you Frantish, much work needs to be done and it has been brought up multiple times to Gaijin about the "bias". I personally feel the biggest problem right now is the tiering system. Earlier this year they had tiers 1-20 which spaced out the planes a little better, however now with the I-V tiers planes like the Bf-109g10/K4 are going against early jet planes and are completely useless.

Also I myself use mouse aim, however have completely disabled the in-game instructor, and oddly enough I've found it to be better lol. Throttle control is much better and more responsive as well as flaps, rudder, elevator and aileron control. So I'd suggest disabling that immediately.

Also the other issue I have currently with the game is actually on the dev's side, where they are including many "blueprint" planes that either A) never got off the drawing board or B) did become prototypes however had many issues and never saw combat. IE: I-185 and Ho229 (upcoming patch) I'd rather see tGaijin flush out each nations tech tree with aircraft that saw combat first prior to introducing these
blueprint planes. THankfully my prayers are being answered and the P-61 Black Widow is expected soon! :)

As always guys feel free to msg me in-game GingahNinja

I have noticed that my GTX 580 GPU crashes with depressing regularity when playing WT since the tanks have been added. I've noticed similar compaints on several other message boards but as far as I know Gaijin is doing nothing about it. I have been reluctant to commit actual money to WT because WT/Gaijin has always seemed a little dodgy to me when compared to WoT/Wargamer and now I will pobably stop playing it altogether. To bad, because I considered WT planes far better than WoP in every respect

I have noticed that my GTX 580 GPU crashes with depressing regularity when playing WT since the tanks have been added. I've noticed similar compaints on several other message boards but as far as I know Gaijin is doing nothing about it. I have been reluctant to commit actual money to WT because WT/Gaijin has always seemed a little dodgy to me when compared to WoT/Wargamer and now I will pobably stop playing it altogether. To bad, because I considered WT planes far better than WoP in every respect

Just don't commit money to WT yet...and keep playing. I play all free, and while it probably is harder than if I had a gold account, it is still fun and rewarding. Also, I have the same crashing issue occasionally, and I just solved it by going through my background processes and disabling things that didn't need to be running. I don't know if that would help you, but sorry to hear about the crash issue all the same.

Another player here. That's strange as I run it on my 560 ti and have no problems with crashes. Might be a driver problem.

I've enjoyed the game a lot but it needs some tweaks to be more fun especially at higher tiers. Seems the stock to fully upgraded difference is much to high as I find myself getting clubbed hard in my f8f. It's not a bad plane but it can't climb worth a damn stock. I actually don't mind the tier spreads all that much because I feel like there are always situations you can be in to have the advantage no matter what plane you are flying.

I dropped 20 bucks on a premium stang which makes the grind a little easier. The plane is sorta lackluster in comparison to the competition but I have fun in it.

In the past when I was running a GT210 (5200) 2Gb GRAM card, I could run games with it set as a GForce 5600 - so if its not your drivers, then perhaps try a roughly similar other NVidea card from the options?. And sometimes the Auto set up the game to your specified card, isn't the best option, go from minimal and tweek each setting one at a time with between playtest checks to get s safe, stable and fun range of settings to your preferences.

Also, it could be running it at too high a resolution, or need updated soundcard drives, or need more cooling to your GFX card; if possible, time to get out the cereal box, sticky tape scissors/craft knife and make a ducting for the fan you got blowing air from the back of the case..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back