US flyer´s microphone from 1944 found in the woods

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
hello

friend of mine found a US microphone in the woods this weekend. it belonged to some of the crew members of B-17, ser. * 42-38096, shot down on August 29,1944.
got 2 questions:
- did all the crew members /of 1 crew/ use the same microhone?
- which kind of microphone is it?

many thanks

Attachments

• microphone1res.JPG
    microphone1res.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 330
  • microphone2res.JPG
    microphone2res.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 324
Hi Roman!

That's a throat mike. As its name implies it was strapped to the throat. I actualy have one. It was worn by all crewmen until later in the war when O2 masks had mikes built into them from what I understand. It was also used for inter plane communication through the intercom system.

Hi Roman!

That's a throat mike. As its name implies it was strapped to the throat. I actualy have one. It was worn by all crewmen until later in the war when O2 masks had mikes built into them from what I understand. It was also used for inter plane communication through the intercom system.

Thank you Joe!
Yes, throat microphone is the correct english name, I couldn´t recall it. I used the same mike when I was in the army as I was a tank driver.
O.K. All the crewmen had the same mike. Just thought we could identify the former owner:(

nothing is 100% sure, but I was told that on the spot, where my friend found the microphone, there was a wreckage of the tail of this bomber back in 1944.
So the microphone could belong to the tail gunner, Dudley Standridge, KIA on that day. I´ll check it out yet.
I´m in touch with his nephew...

Attachments

• šanov 1944 002.jpg
    šanov 1944 002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCF2912.jpg
    DSCF2912.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 298
  • obit.jpg
    obit.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 304
Last year, another friend of mine, found a rests of the ball turret and ball turret gunner from the same crew 2 feets deep in the ground with a metal detector.
He found it very close to the monument, that is on the crash spot of the fuselage. The name of the ball turret gunner was Sgt. Robert Flahive.

Attachments

• pic 003res.jpg
    pic 003res.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 289
  • pic 002res.jpg
    pic 002res.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 367
  • pic 001res.jpg
    pic 001res.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Sanov4res.jpg
    Sanov4res.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Sanov3res.jpg
    Sanov3res.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 324
BTW, that friend of mine, that found the rests of ball turret, got this metal detector from that guy in my siggy (Joe Owsianik) as a gift 2 years ago.
Joe survived the same mission (mission 263 of the 2ndBG)...
On the picture there´s from L-R: me and a friend of mine Mike.

Attachments

• pic 029res.jpg
    pic 029res.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 279
What does he plan to do with the remains of the turret Roman?

You have to feel sorry for those ball turret gunners - only way in and out was on the ground. They had no chance in a crash.

What does he plan to do with the remains of the turret Roman?

You have to feel sorry for those ball turret gunners - only way in and out was on the ground. They had no chance in a crash.

They all are in our museum, 2 miles away from the crash site
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/august-29-1944-museum-sanov-czech-republic-9882.html
If you mean the human remains, there were only small bone fragments there.
Someone´s part of the head and arm were buried in the small wooden box very close to the monument by the local people and are still there today... Germans didn´t find them during collecting.
More at Second Bomb Group , Bulletin Board. You got to scroll down to find my letter regarding this found.

I noticed that the microphone that was found appears to have been manufactured by Western Electric. According to my husband, there was probably only one Western Electric factory in the US, which was located in Cicero, Illinois. Cicero is where my husband grew up until age 5, and is the old Czech neighborhood in Chicago. Lots of Czech-Americans worked at that factory (during the war and afterwards).

Cheers,

Ramona Bartos

They all are in our museum, 2 miles away from the crash site
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/august-29-1944-museum-sanov-czech-republic-9882.html
If you mean the human remains, there were only small bone fragments there.
Someone´s part of the head and arm were buried in the small wooden box very close to the monument by the local people and are still there today... Germans didn´t find them during collecting.
More at Second Bomb Group , Bulletin Board. You got to scroll down to find my letter regarding this found.

Hey Roman;

You might want to get in touch with these folks with regards to the human remains;

JPAC - Joint Prisoners of War, Missing in Action Accounting Command

I noticed that the microphone that was found appears to have been manufactured by Western Electric. According to my husband, there was probably only one Western Electric factory in the US, which was located in Cicero, Illinois. Cicero is where my husband grew up until age 5, and is the old Czech neighborhood in Chicago. Lots of Czech-Americans worked at that factory (during the war and afterwards).

Cheers,

Ramona Bartos

Thank you Ramona and welcome to the forum!

Hey Roman;

You might want to get in touch with these folks with regards to the human remains;

JPAC - Joint Prisoners of War, Missing in Action Accounting Command

Joe, do you think they could helps us in identifying the gunner´s remains? Think this project covers only MIA...
If so, it would be great...we have bone, we have MACR, we have crewmembers names and we probably have the name of the gunner whom this bone belonged to...only don´t have any connection with his relatives...due to DNA analyse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back