Paper fuel tanks??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sure with all the tanks dropped there was property and or personal injury. Do modern aircraft have tanks that can Detonate before hitting the ground?

My mother worked in a war plant in the early 1940's. They made drop tanks out of cardboard that were then sprayed with several thin layers of rubber. After the rubber dried the cardboard would have to be removed from the inside. She said they used midgets or dwarfs to crawl inside the tanks and remove the cardboard. Does anyone know about this or have any photos. This happened in Akron and Canton Ohio, and she remembers seeing a picture of it.

I'm sure with all the tanks dropped there was property and or personal injury. Do modern aircraft have tanks that can Detonate before hitting the ground?

I think these would have been called Bombs.....
how many of you wanted make this reply??????

But the photo of the "third" one recovered in Europe looks like they were pretty tough, to have a simple hole in the end after being dropped from high cover.

I think these would have been called Bombs.....
how many of you wanted make this reply??????

But the photo of the "third" one recovered in Europe looks like they were pretty tough, to have a simple hole in the end after being dropped from high cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back