F4F Manual Book

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks smeagol_to_others, I uploaded here for those that wish to download from here.

Thanks again!!!!

Attachments

• F4F Wildcat.pdf
    14 MB · Views: 2,920
  • Picture%20073.jpg
    Picture%20073.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,471
Anything on the straight F4F-3 or F4F-4? This one is for the FM-2

- Ivan.

Thanks Krieghund!

Just what I was looking for. Do you happen to know how the -76 engine differs?

- Ivan.

Thanks Krieghund!

Just what I was looking for. Do you happen to know how the -76 engine differs?

- Ivan.

The R-1830-76 engine was used on the F4F-3 and F4F-4. It differed from the R-1830 engines used in aircraft such as the B-24, C-47, and SBD-3 in that it had a two stage two speed mechanical supercharger. This gave the F4F better performance at altitude compared to other early war aircraft such as the P-40 and P-39, which had only single stage single speed superchargers - or for that matter, the A6M2 Zeke.

The -76 engine was rated at 1200 hp at 2700 rpm at sea level and 1000 hp at 2550 rpm at 19,000 ft.

Note that the F4F-3A/-4A version of the Wildcat had the -90 version of the engine, which had only a single stage supercharger. While it had a similar rating to the -76 at sea level it produced 1000 hp at only 14,500 ft.

The FM-2 used the Wright R-1820-56 which was a single row radial that had only a single stage supercharger and produced 1300 hp at 2600 rpm at sea level or the R-1820-72A that gave 1350 hp at sea level or the -74 version that provided 1425 hp at sea level. The single stage R-1820 was a lighter engine than the two stage 1830, and, as you can see, gave considerably more HP at low altitude. While the high altitude performance of the FM-2 was less than that of the F4F, its lighter weight and more power down low was more suitable for the jeep carriers that were equipepd with the FM-2. I have read reports that the FM-2's much higher low altitude performance seemed to come as a rude shock to the Japanese pilots who thought they were engaging an ordinary old Wildcat instead of that much more formidable F6F.

Actually I was wondering more about the differences between the R-1830-76 and R-1830-86 engines. There is a small difference in power curve but what I was after was more like manifold pressure settings for Combat and Cruise setting.... In other words, how does the manual differ with the earlier engine?

I actually found most of what I wanted in the book "America's Hundred Thousand". It also mentioned that even at altitude, the power difference between the R-1820 and R-1830 engines only differed by around 50 hp and the FM-2 weighed around what the F4F-3 weighed so performance of the FM-2 was MUCH superior to the F4F-4.

- Ivan.

I'm in need of the engine oil cooling tube details.
From the two inlets at the opening of the cowling on each side.
What does that tube have in it?
I think I have found the answer, FYI.
They lead to the little radiators on either side in the gear compartment, Yes?
Oil cooling.

Water tank for injection, anti-detonation.
Any kind of photo for either of these.
And now I have found looking at "restorations" there was NO water tank....!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back