Grumman Avenger TBF-1 Pilot's Handbook

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Reegor

Airman 1st Class
Apr 29, 2010
San Diego, CA, USA
I just scanned this manual.

PILOT'S HANDBOOK
MODEL TBF-1 AIRPLANE
MODEL TBM-1 AIRPLANE
CONTRACT NO. LL-91367
CONTRACT NO. 98837
ENGINE NO. R-2600-8 OR R-2600-8A
AVENGER 1
RELEASED BY' THE BUREAU OF AERONAUTICS NAVY DEPARTMENT

It is about 114 pages, including two color line drawings at the back.
I don't know the date - can anyone estimate the date for us?
As far as I know this is the first upload of this manual to the Internet. I had to shrink it from 59MB down to 10MB, which caused moderate loss of quality. If any commercial vendors want to contact me I will trade for the full resolution version.

View attachment AVENGER_ TBF-1 SCAN copy.pdf

Last edited:
Greetings Reegor:

..... Welcome to the group ...........

Thank, for sharing the manual with us..... :D

Mike

Way late to the party but thank you for the TBM manual. Of all the Avenger guys I knew/met, it never occurred to me to ask the obvious question: "How do you drop a torpedo?" Figured it would involve a bomb-torpedo transfer switch much like the F6F-F4U bomb-rocket transfer switch. There's an oft-seen snippet in Pacific Theater videos of a gloved hand pulling a T-handle with the duty TBF seen releasing a torp, but apparently that's the backup system. Main release is on the stick grip.

Hi,
Thanks for posting. The file contains some really interesting information.
Pat

I just scanned this manual.

PILOT'S HANDBOOK
MODEL TBF-1 AIRPLANE
MODEL TBM-1 AIRPLANE
CONTRACT NO. LL-91367
CONTRACT NO. 98837
ENGINE NO. R-2600-8 OR R-2600-8A
AVENGER 1
RELEASED BY' THE BUREAU OF AERONAUTICS NAVY DEPARTMENT

View attachment 244216

I wish more people would do as this person did: provide a full description of the document, or a photo of the title page. Many folks are looking for a manual applicable to a specific variant of a plane, or a certain year. Several times I've downloaded a manual only to find it was a duplicate of one I already had. If your connection runs at light speed, maybe no big deal, but on my semi high speed connection it can be annoying.

I wish more people would do as this person did: provide a full description of the document, or a photo of the title page. Many folks are looking for a manual applicable to a specific variant of a plane, or a certain year. Several times I've downloaded a manual only to find it was a duplicate of one I already had. If your connection runs at light speed, maybe no big deal, but on my semi high speed connection it can be annoying.

Honestly when we started this back in 2006 we never expected it to get this big nor thought about it back then.

Thanks Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back