Throttle quadrants

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Siddley

Airman 1st Class
Jul 20, 2014
Hello all, my first post. Quick introduction, my name is Sid, I'm English but I now live in rural Spain. Lifelong military aviation enthusiast etc etc
Right, now that is out of the way :lol:

I am starting work on a set of simulator controls that I will be using with IL2:Sturmovik 1946
If you aren't familiar with that sim it provides a huge amount of flyable aircraft from all the major combatants of WW2, so my controls are going to be generic rather than modelled on one particular type.
I do have a soft spot for twin engined fighters\ground attack aircraft, especially the P38 and the Beau, but to keep things simple I am considering a single engine style quadrant.

Obviously I have downloaded plenty of manuals but what would help is an engineering type drawing of a throttle quadrant - or a side view taken from a maintenance manual perhaps. I am drawing a blank here though, can anyone help ?

One thing I am interested in is the 'throw' of the various levers.

I have tried the forum search function but it's either not very good, or I am not using it properly...

Welcome to the Forum. Its a great place to find info. I have the throttle quadrant from a P-47 and could take some detail pictures of it with a ruler for scale. Might take me a couple of days to get to it though. Let me know if you want any particular angles.

Thanks for the welcome 8)

A picture would be great - but not absolutely necessary, if you could tell me the approximate arc that the ( three ? ) levers move through it would be a great help.
I have downloaded a few maintenance manuals now but they don't mention the throw of the levers as its not a piece of information the rigger needs to adjust the cables.

I'll be building a control column\yoke as well and the information from the P-38 manual says it has approximately 280 degrees of rotation but only 35 degrees fore and aft movement. I'm not sure how well that is going to work in simulator control terms so I need to gather some more information.
Unfortunately again it's not mentioned in any other manuals I have read so far...

Here's some pictures of the my P-47 quadrant. The travel of the throttle lever is between 60 degrees and 130 degrees. Hope this is of some help.

Attachments

• P7260974.JPG
    P7260974.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 352
  • P7260976.JPG
    P7260976.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 530
  • P7260978.JPG
    P7260978.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 636
  • P7260979.JPG
    P7260979.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,333
Thanks a lot, there are lots of little details there I can use.

Is the stop on the forward end of the throttle axis moved aside by the pilot in order to reach the war emergency power range ?

Yes it is. In the third picture you can clearly see the little black leaver in front of the throttle leaver. you can see a post on this leaver going back to the bar of the throttle leaver. This is the throttle stop. By using the pinkie finger on this small leaver you move the throttle stop to the side so it misses the throttle bar therefor allowing the throttle to be advanced to war emergency power.

Also on the top of the throttle handle is a switch to activate water injection for a few minutes of extra power. The large silver button on the side of the throttle handle is the radio mike transmit button. There is a spring loaded tab that links the supercharger leaver (B) to the throttle leaver. to move it forward and backward when the throttle is moved. There is also one of these tabs on the prop control leaver (P) but it only moves with the throttle when it is advanced, not brought back. You can see these tabs best in the last picture attached to the two smaller leavers.

Thanks for the welcome Crimea

T-Bolt, thanks for the further info, I found your 1\1 scale cockpit project and it's a real inspiration...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back