Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BARE METAL MADE EASY!

Post Thanks / Like
    With all here Terry. Excellent job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed! Many thanks for taking the time to do this mate!!

Post Thanks / Like
    No probs, and thanks for the compliments guys. I just hope that SNJ powder is still available, but I'm fairly sure it is. If not, check with a jeweller, to see where to get silver polishing powder.

Post Thanks / Like
    SnJ powder and base are both still available, though they're sold by Hawkeye Hobbies now and I think wear that logo.

Have you tried this with acrylics yet?

I've done some experimentation, mixing the powder with gold paint to give the shine some depth. It seems to work just fine when applied with a brush, though the paint has to be thinned a bit more since the powder thickens things a bit.

Haven't tried shooting the powder/paint mix with an airbrush, and frankly I'm afraid to.

Eighth

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work there Terry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Catch!
    Hi Eighthaf. I haven't tried it with acrylics, mainly as I don't use acrylics!!
    The polishing part should work, and the paint 'bonding' with the powder on the bare plastic MIGHT work to an extent. However, as the base of acrylic paint is made from a synthetic material, I don't think the effect would be quite the same, as, in effect, one plastic would be meeting another, with the powder possibly 'rejecting' the attraction.
    I have used the silver powder, in moderation, to give a metallic shine to other colours, not just metallics, and it does the job well.
    Like you, I was a bit nervous of using a powder mix through the airbrush but, so far, using only powder, mixed with Klear (Future), and NO PAINT, it is starting to work. Clean-up takes a bit longer, in order to ensure all metal residue is removed from the needle, but, so far, not bad. Lot more tests to do though!
    Thanks for letting me know the supplier of SNJ, I'll make a note of it. I've seen SNJ products advertised on a dealers lists once recently, so, hopefully, if I need more, I can still get it. Don't need the base colour, just the powder, although I've probably got enough to last another ten years!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried using it on a couple of different media, resin and plastic. They both seemed to accept the paint with the brass powder nicely.

I think the next exercise will be to brush-paint it as a natural-metal finish. Oh boy, another excuse to buy a model? Like I need one.

Eighth

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned in the article, brush painting actually gives a better metal coating, and therefore a better appearance, looking even more like aluminium etc. I'm assuming this is because the powdered metal is being taken-up in the paint, by the action of the brush, rather than being coated. Be sure to follow the method described, and/or experiment a bit though, in order to avoid brush marks.
    Good luck, and let me (us) know how you get on.
    Terry.

Post Thanks / Like
    'Oh boy, another excuse to buy a model'. And this time I have to see how it scales.

May take a while. Moving, work, life, etc; but curiosity will not let me rest until I've done the deed. Damned curiosity. Why couldn't I just be an alcoholic?

Eighth

Post Thanks / Like
    Great!! Maybe now I´ll start my P-51!!!
    B17 pilot: What the hell was that!!
    Coopilot: It must be one of them new jet-fighters!!
    Gunner: Thy're too fast!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to be of service, and I hope it helps J'. Try to have a practice go first though, rather than go straight to a favourite model.
    Terry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Airframes,
    That was a very well written article......I will try out your method in the future on a P-47N I have saved for a BMF.
    After I try it out first on some scrap a dozen or so times.
    Scott.
    Last edited by vf-17; 12-10-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Big Orange KTM Motorcycles and Big Orange Tennessee Football.....Go Vols.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, VF. I did a 1/48th scale P47 using the method, by brush-painting, and it turned out great. As mentioned to others though, if you can, try it out on something 'unimportant' first, just so you get the hang of it.
    I'm just finishing a F86 Sabre using this method, with both brush and air brush, and it's looking very nice.
    Let me know how you get on, as any feedback, good or bad, is useful. It means that, if neccessary, I can update the article. Thanks again for the compliments.
    Terry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Terry I'll read it properly on the weekend when I have some time.

Looks a very good layout, I also like your writing style. Language style and tone is perfect for an instructional piece.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Airframes for the tutorial.

I never saw SNJ stuff at my local hobby shop... One more thing I'll have to order !

Until now the (very few) NMF models I made were made with Testors' 1290 Chrome spray paint. Gave them a rather good finish (well, not as good as on your models). The only downside was that I didn't have the "standard" paint (for use with brushes) to use with... So I have to paint the details (i.e. the canopy frames) in a different colour. I used Tamiya's medium grey so the difference wasn't really evident.

Here is an exemple of my "NMF work" I posted here a while ago. Once again it is in no way as good looking as your models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -51d-millie-800x600-jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast