BARE METAL MADE EASY! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As many people are 'frightened' of bare metal, or 'NMF' on models, and following a couple or three requests, I've produced a quick guide to the way I achieve this once tiresome task, either with an airbrush, or by using a PAINT BRUSH.
It's on a PDF file, so hopefully you can download it and peruse at your leisure. Hope it proves useful,
Cheers,
Terry.
Edit. OK, where did it go?
Can anybody tell me what I've done, or how I SHOULd upload a PDF file??
DOH! Done it, I tried to upload the wrong (unmodified) file first time around! OK, I know, I'm a numpty!!

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - BARE METAL FINISHES.pdf
    567 KB · Views: 671
Yes Daniel, that's right. It's O.K., I think. I've PM'd Paul (Micdrow), so hopefully I'll get the answer soon. Maybe PDF means Pretty Damn Foolish?!!
Should do, cos that's how I feel now!
Terry.

Dang Airframes, how long have you been working on that!? Brilliant work. A bit beyond my skill level, but certainly very informative. You have a professional background in writing technical documents? Very organized tutorial. Bravo! :hello2:

Thanks Matt! Working on the technique, about 17 years, on the 'guide', about two to three hours, including photography, layout and convesion to PDF.
Suppose I just have a flare for writing. My military background helped in my 'civvy' career with Kodak, where part of my technical job entailed designing, writing and presenting training courses.
Beyond your skill level? In modelling? I doubt it, I think you'd find it quite easy. Might take a couple of practice attempts on an old 'hack', but I'm sure anyone who can use a paint brush at least somewhere near proficiently, and anyone who can use an airbrush, should be able to achieve more than acceptable results. Give it a try, I think you'll be impressed!

No probs, and thanks for the compliments guys. I just hope that SNJ powder is still available, but I'm fairly sure it is. If not, check with a jeweller, to see where to get silver polishing powder.

SnJ powder and base are both still available, though they're sold by Hawkeye Hobbies now and I think wear that logo.

Have you tried this with acrylics yet?

I've done some experimentation, mixing the powder with gold paint to give the shine some depth. It seems to work just fine when applied with a brush, though the paint has to be thinned a bit more since the powder thickens things a bit.

Haven't tried shooting the powder/paint mix with an airbrush, and frankly I'm afraid to.

Eighth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back