Fleet Air Arm Pacific Roundels (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok. The Fleet Air Arm had numerous roundels during the war, but I'm wondering what each of them signify, or if they were just generic roundels.

I know the one with the bars was Pacific Fleet, but I've seen many other kinds, such as the following. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Hellcat-FAA-mishap-4.jpg
    Hellcat-FAA-mishap-4.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,856
  • JZ796 foto autografiada.jpg
    JZ796 foto autografiada.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 435
  • jt_260_enviar_1.jpg
    jt_260_enviar_1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 349
  • mk_ii_f6f_5_pr_jv222_3_3nviar.jpg
    mk_ii_f6f_5_pr_jv222_3_3nviar.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 414
I'm not very 'well up' on the theatre, but those are the 'standard' SEAC roundels. (South East Asia Command). They originated as the blue/white/red RAF roundel, and the red centre was removed to avoid any possible confusion, at a distance, with the Japanese 'meatball' roundel. The size was reduced, and, on certain coloured backgrounds, to make them more visible, a white outline was added.
I'm not sure, but I think the bars were added, and the roundel enlarged, at about the time the US introduced 'bars to the stars'. This was to make the entire marking appear as a rectangle at a distance, rather than a blur of a disc or square. As to specific area requirements, I don't know, as I know the SEAC roundel was still used in some areas, even when the bars and roundels were also being used.
Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Terry, I think I have it figured out.

What was confusing me was that there are those roundels, and then there are the ones with a lighter blue on the inside.

So basically, those with the blue on the inside I've only seen on Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-47s, or any other RAF plane. The blue and white ones however, like those above, all seem to be on FAA planes. So, the blue/blue ones are RAF, and the blue/white are FAA. If that makes any sense.

I can't find any pics Cory but I'll quote a passage for the book "Barracuda Pilot" by Dunstan Hadley,
We were to join Victorious...... I now had my own aeroplane. Its number was LS709 and it had a large Q painted on the side. All the aircraft had by now had all their red paint or dope covered. The roundels were simply dark blue with light blue centres, but the letters which were also red had not yet been changed.

He was part of 822 sqn which bombed the railyards at Sigli in Northern Sumatra on the 18th of Sep 1944.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back