Invasion stripes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soundbreaker Welch?

Tech Sergeant
Feb 8, 2006
Colorado, USA
I was painting some invasion stripes on a P-47 called "Touch of Texas". (A Dubya Favorite I'm sure!) There are 5 stripes. I found out they turned out are just a little bit wider than the instructions show. Probably about 1 or 2 feet over width. (In 1/48 scale I mean! :)) The last stripe, instead of surounding two guns, only surounds the last one.

It doesn't look too bad, maybeee a bit big, but was there a standard width for Normandy Invasion Stripes? How about P-47's, was there differances between groups and such?

Maybe this help you a bit.
Source unknown.

Attachments

• P-47_.jpg
    P-47_.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,138
One thing about invasion strikes though, they weren't pretty.

Applied with a brush in most cases and not pariculary accurate:)

I think theres enough modellers licence when painting these so you can never be really wrong, unless you paint the whole wing black and white:shock: :lol:

One thing about invasion strikes though, they weren't pretty.

I don't agree with you Heinz.In mu opinion the stripes made planes more colourful.Especially to these with the standard US camo used in ETO.:)

Applied with a brush in most cases and not pariculary accurate:)

Because they also had never been accurate in reality.:)

Thanks for the pictures!

I bet my stripes turned out in the end to be about 22 inches wide or something. But like you said, you can't go too wrong with stripes!

Yeah, I hand brushed them, and used strips of tape to make a nice rectangle.

But the white paint shows some cracks, so I'll have to fix that. I'll show a picture of the plane when it's done. Hopefully by November.

Wurger I like the invasion stripes.

I just meant more people are over accurate with masking on models.

THerefore there is a fair bit of flexibility when painting them :)

Wurger I like the invasion stripes.

I just meant more people are over accurate with masking on models.

THerefore there is a fair bit of flexibility when painting them :)

Ah...can You see?I understood it in different way:oops: .So OK.:lol:

It is true and now I agree with you.Recently,I've read an article about building a minature of Mustang III flown by Stanislaw Skalski.The author decided to make the model because the invasions strips were painted on the aircraft much more accurate than on others.

For 1:72 they quote them as being 8mm, but not sure on 1:48. I hate painting the things; wings you can live iwth but trying to get them on the fuselage! Argh!

It's really tough! They turned out worse than the wings, but I'm hoping they look pretty cemetrical.

Have finished putting the decals on, I will coat it with future tonight.

For 1:72 they quote them as being 8mm, but not sure on 1:48. I hate painting the things; wings you can live iwth but trying to get them on the fuselage! Argh!

Hi guys,
I think you need some ideas on how to make these stripes on models.
The one which I've tested many times is to cut thin ( 2-3mm) stripes of selfadhesive paper tape.And then stick them to the model.These thin stripes have better abilities to be fitted to surfaces.The free of tape areas between stripes you can mask with Humbrol Maskol for instance.Certainly the basic colour ( white ) should be put on a model.

Scalemaster from california,USA make a nice set of stripes in various colors.I use the white and black sheets for invasion stripes.Maybe too acurate but look nice on the model.Model is a 1/72 Airfix.
Ed

Attachments

• Typhoon 1.JPG
    Typhoon 1.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 193
  • typhoon 3.JPG
    typhoon 3.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 178
Looking nice.I did the same for my earlier model of Spit Mk.IX.I used decals I made myself.It is one of the ways to make them on a model.

Hello. New here. Just completed Wms. Bros. C-46. I have not built a model since my Air Force days at Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C. with the A-7D's and T-Birds in the early 70's. Dad (he's 89) said he wanted a model of a C-46 with Invasion Stripes for Christmas so I dug in. He says his CG-4 was towed by one on D-Day. Thing is I could find not one photo of a C-46 with invasion stripes but this site helped me more than any other. I used 24" widths on a 1/72nd scale. Those fuselage stripes were indeed a pain; wings were a snap. When I figure out how to post a .jpg I'll send a couple of pics. I've made dad a pictorial album of every step of the build; about 25 photos in all.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ted
Fairborn, Ohio (Home of the Museum of the Air Force)

PS- If you ever need a photo of a US plane for reference I'd be glad to see what I can do. They have just about everything there.

I used a C-47 Dakota with stripes as a guide. The wing stripes were not a problem but the fuselage stripes were a b__ch! I think I got them half-way decent though. I have attached a couple of pictures of the striping phase and some final shots. I plan to present the plane to my dad this week (yeah I know...real late). I can't wait to see his expression! Not only will he get the plane but he will also get a CD pictorial of every stage of the build (about 25 pictures). I think he will appreciate the thing more. BTW, this kit was the first one on which I attempted sawing, sanding, filling, masking, air-brushing, and striping. Quite a feat for a relative novice builder. I'm sure I will come to this site often as I plan out my next model, an F-86 E/F. By any chance can someone recommend a really nice quality 1/48th kit for the F-86? I have very much to learn from you guys. Thanks Again.

BTW, if you would like to see other pics of the way a novice builds a difficult kit just let me know.

Attachments

• Taping Wing for Invasion Stripes.jpg
    Taping Wing for Invasion Stripes.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Partial%20Stripe%20Completion1.jpg
    Partial%20Stripe%20Completion1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Partial%20Stripe%20Completion2.jpg
    Partial%20Stripe%20Completion2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Completed%20Aircraft3.jpg
    Completed%20Aircraft3.jpg