Revell 1/72 Spitfire Mk V Paint question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
I'm starting to regret picking up this kit since I am struggling to figure out the paint scheme and correct colors. The local hobby shop had it on sale on my way out the door for $4.00 so I couldn't pass it up.

I have been trying for nearly a weekend to figure out what MM FS colors to use for this model. I picked up the Euro Dark Green FS34092, but cannot figure out which shade of gray to use. I have found conflicting suggestions, but nothing to match an FS number. Any suggestions.

In addition I feel a bit foolish after being away from modeling for 10 years that I just found out about acrylics last week. I picked up a couple MM bottles of acrylic paint to finish off my TBF-1 and wow what a difference with clean up and odor, I'm am not seeing a drawback to using these paints over enamel.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon, The colors you need are RAF Dark Green and Ocean Gray for the upper colors, and Medium Sea Gray for the underside. Testors has these colors in Model Master enamels, Nos. 2060, 2057, and 2058, Model Master acrylics are another story, the selection is nowhere near as extensive. The only color available in the acrylic line is RAF Dark Green, No. 4849. The FS numbers you need, according to Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I , are, RAF Dark Green, FS34079, Ocean Gray, FS36152, and Medium Sea Gray, FS36270. I don't know off hand what Model Master acrylic paints would be close to these, if any. These colors are however, available in Polly Scale (Floquil) acrylics if you have a source for them.

Bob, thank you.

Well it appears after 40 years I am still learning to read. I must have been so excited to have a Spitfire that I failed to fully read the box, what I actually purchased is a Hawker Tempest MK V, not a Spitfire. The reason I found out is that I noticed nobody else's Spitfire had a bubble canopy and checked my kit when I got home last night.

I feel like a fool LOL.

I will say that I think your color recommendations still apply although I'll double check again.

Thank you!

The kit:
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Reviews/raf/tempest-v.htm

Last edited:
Jon, these colours for Tempests were the same like for all late RAF FC aircraft, RAF dark Green/ Ocean Grey/ Medium Sea Grey. For painting spinners and the tail bands - Sky S type ( if these weren't of the 2th TAF ). The yellow quick ID areas were coloured with the Insignia Yellow.

Here is my model of the Tempest. I used Humbrol enamels for the camo scheme ( H30/H106/H64/H90/H154 )

watermark.php

Last edited:
Thank you Wurger, that's a nice looking plane!

What kit is that if you don't mind? I'm disappointed in the Revell kit so far, there a gaps on the bottom side of the canopy and if I didn't know any better I'd think they put the wrong one in the kit as it does not fit well at all. It just doesn't seem like a very good kit, but then again I only paid $4.00 for it.

Thanks again!

Jon

Thank you for these nice words. It's an old Novo kit, as memo serves.I made it many years ago. The cockpit conopy has been made from scratch.
Concerning the Revell kit... unfortunately it's a plastic scrap. The entire model has to be corrected. Too much of hard work I'm afraid. If I could suggest something else I would recommend the Intech kit no.T26 instead of the moil. Of course in 1/72 scale.

Attachments

• intech_Tempest_V.jpg
    intech_Tempest_V.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 241
  • intech_Tempest_V_1.jpg
    intech_Tempest_V_1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back