Airbrush Question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My airbrush recommends a 50/50 mix, and I have had good success with
it. However, I only use enamel paints. For other paints (i.e. water based)
it may be different. I'm sure Wayne Little will chime in, here.

Charles

No real hard fast rule on this. Depends on the paint,colour, what your painting and temperature etc. The best thing is to experiment. 50/50 Is a good ratio to start with but you will find some paint will work better with less thinner. Also, if your painting very fine lines the paint will need to be thinned more than if your painting a large area.

Catch 22 i will agree with Bustedwing! I do know use the recomended airbrush Thinner for the actual paint you use as it allways works trouble free. I use Mostly Model masters paints from testors and I use as a starting point there ratio of 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner for Flat paints and 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner for gloss Paints.

Depends mightily on the paint. Also depends on how you're painting. I paint in several thin passes normally, to allow preshading to show through. That requires more thinning than blasting a primer coat.

Floquil and Alclad should be applied over heavy coats (or accumulations of thinner coats) of barrier, as they will attack the plastic underneath.

Tamiya paints are already pretty thin, you might spray them OOB but then again you'll want to think hard about thinning a little more and going with lighter coats. Again, depends on the paint.

Depends also on how you're applying it. More pressure might help, but don't overdo it.

What the rest have said. Experiment with paints you like and find out what seems to work best.

Eighth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back