B-17 Underbelly Color. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thebuilderofthings

Airman 1st Class
Sep 10, 2009
Kent, Washington
Hello there folks. I'm building a 1/9th scale B-17 and have stumbled into a problem concerning the color of the lower half of the FS 34086 Dark Olive Drab variant schemes. As I've gotten a few of the glass engine cowls filled and primed I would like to go ahead and shoot the cowls at this point. I would very much appreciate your help on this so much. Thank you for your time. Best regards.

dubolin

IMG_0002.jpg
. Right! Now that's better. I've gotten a bit rusty posting pics but I may be getting the hang of it. Here is the left side of the fuse which when finished will be around 98" inches long.

IMG_0005.jpg
. And here is the wing saddle area. The lower fuse bulkheads will be removed from this area and parts will be saved to rebuild the lower belly under the wing. 1/8"th plywood is used for the wing saddle while all bulkheads are laminated from three sheets of 3/32"inch balsa running cross grain to each other.

IMG_00044.jpg
. The fin area installed as a one piece unit with the fuse. Notice the planking method. There are gaps in the planking which will be filled in with special strips of balsa planking. The sheeting on the fin runs at a 90 degree angle to the ribs.They've changed direction twice. This is to ensure structural integrity when sanding so you don't get the 'starved horse' look when the sheeting begins to sag between the ribs from the pressure.

Very impressive work you are doing there. If you mean the lower surface colour it would be Neutral Grey (ANA 43). I believe this equates to FS 36270.
Good luck with your project
Steve

You guys are all right in my book!! And I can't stop marveling at the intricate work you folks do on these magnificent pieces of art! When I was a yungin' I couldn't get enough plastic models to work on. Mostly aircraft with an occasional trip down the funny car/fueler lane. You know, I still have a 1/96th scale Revell/Monogram Saturn V I need to honk on. Seen some pretty add ons that are available now for this on eBay which REALLY dress up and change this block one ship into a block II model. I want to thank you again for your help on this urgent matter. I believe I will stick around and enjoy, you have indeed been both courteous and inspirational as well. Best regards.

IMG_0025.jpg
. This particular bulkhead happens to be one that the stab passes through. The blacked out area will be cut out after installation.

Marvellous work! This is going to be one h*ll of a replica when it's finished!
Please stick around and keep us all updated with progress. Have you any plans for which Bomb Group colours it's going to be finished in?
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back