ME 262 Yellow 4 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

prem895

Staff Sergeant
Oct 7, 2012
Toronto/Beijing
What RLM is this green?

Attachments

• 1-Museum-Me-262A1a-3.JG7-Yellow-4-WNr-1124850-01.jpg
    1-Museum-Me-262A1a-3.JG7-Yellow-4-WNr-1124850-01.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 703
The colour looks like the RLM 82 Hellgrun.

IMG_4001.jpg

The Me 262A-2a Werk Nummer 112372 belonged to Yellow 7 ( not yellow 4 ) of the I./JG7 , AM51 and have been preserved in the RAF museum , Hendon. The jet plane was captured in Fassberg by the RAF 616 Squadron.She was ferried from Copenhagen to Farnborough on 25 April 1945. The Me 262 was tested there in flight. ( Canadian Warplanes book , page 301 )

Another source says the the W.Nr.112372 was of Me 262A-1a of the 7JG "Red 2" with the blue-red band of defence the Reich found in Schleswig 1945. ( Jagdgeschwader 7 Nowotny book, page 125 )

Me262.jpg

I thought so,but just wanted to be sure.I have a Trumpy 1/32 a1 that when I get around to it, will be painted like this.I do find it quite striking. So it is really yellow 7 not 4

Another source says the the W.Nr.112372 was of Me 262A-1a of the 7JG "Red 2" with the blue-red band of defence the Reich found in Schleswig 1945. ( Jagdgeschwader 7 Nowotny book, page 125 )

This is correct.
It is clearly visible in the Schleswig line up photos, fifth in line next to the B1-a two seat trainer.

It may be the jet on which Lt. Czypionka of NJG 11 had two engines installed at Lubeck before flying it to Schleswig shortly before its surrender.

1st June 1945. Flown by Flt.Lt. Arend to Twente (Holland)

8th or 23rd June. Flown by Arend to Farnborough.

29th June. Flown by Sqn. Ldr. Tony Martindale to Brize Norton.

At Brize Norton it received the RAF serial VK893 and was flown by Bell test pilot Jack Woolams.

6th September. First flown at the RAE Farnborough and was flown regularly until 29th November 1945.

That's from Dan O'Connell.

Cheers
Steve

a little note Georg C did not fly red numbers in 10./NJG 11 the single seaters were all day fighters with white numerals very early/spring-April/May of 45. they were trying to shoot down RAF Spits the last days on day missions.

a little note Georg C did not fly red numbers in 10./NJG 11 the single seaters were all day fighters with white numerals very early/spring-April/May of 45. they were trying to shoot down RAF Spits the last days on day missions.

If it was the aircraft retrieved by Czypionka it had apparently been abandoned "abandoned" at Lubeck whence Czypionka retrieved it, having had two new engines fitted. It had been delivered to JG 7 at the end of March 1945.
There was another number over painted on the rear fuselage sides. It is difficult to be sure but it was almost certainly a 2 or 7. When captured the aircraft still carried the JG 7 fuselage band. The "Red 2" was neatly applied over the JG 7 crest (emblem).
I don't know if the aircraft flew any combat missions after arrival at Schleswig. I doubt it.
Cheers
Steve

As memo serves the RLM83 Dunkelgrun was quite dark and of the olive tinge.

IMG_4002.jpg

And I agree with Steve the "Red 2" refers to the red number in the emblem noticed on the fuselage.

Me 262 Wnr 112372_.jpg

With Wayne. I think the 82 was a brighter green than that example. More like the bottom left chip above.

It is vere likely the ModelMaster ( the light green is just a sample of their RLM83 ) has mistaken these two colours. Their RLM82 ( the chip is the bottom left one in post #4 ) is a little bit too dark colour.

Not MM8283... but the ModelMaster RLM82 and ModelMaster RLM83. This is the difference. What is more you shouldn't follow these colours of paints seen at the bottom of a bottle. There is not an exact chip of any paint because there are gathered a colorant, talc powder and other fixtures of a paint that make an incorrect appearance of the colour. A paint has to be stired firstly if you want to see the correct tinge.

the MM RLM82...

model-master-ii-enamel-dunkelgrun-semi-gloss-dark-green-rlm82.jpg

the MM RLM83...

model-master-ii-enamel-lichtgrun-semi-gloss-bright-green-rlm83.jpg

Additionally.....

the Testors/Model Master Lichtgrün RLM 83 that seems to be the wrong colour. The German name of the colour is "Dunkelgrun" what means the dark green while there is an inscription "Lichtgrun" - the light green, on the bottle. Congrats to their translator ...

tesr8092.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Last edited:
I did mean RLM 82 83. RLM 83 looks to be the best choice. BTW will Hu102 army green be ok for a Republic built P-47d cockpit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back