Bomb Bays

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
I'm messing around with a new project idea...

Attachments

• Short_Stirling_Load_1_Dev.jpg
    Short_Stirling_Load_1_Dev.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 955
I think that is cool. And a excellent idea also. Is this how they were laid out in the bay, and if so, how would you do a bay like the B-17 where they were stacked? Just curious. And as always, very nicely done sir!:thumbright: :cool:

I thought for a while about stacking the bombs for US aircraft, but the 'offset pile' just looked wrong, so I settled for putting notes on the drawing like so:

Attachments

• Boeing_B17_Load_2_Dev.jpg
    Boeing_B17_Load_2_Dev.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 833
  • Boeing_B29_Load_1_Dev.jpg
    Boeing_B29_Load_1_Dev.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 803
I have just finished drawing and scaling some larger US bombs which threw up an interesting question: The 4,000 lb one does not seem to fit in anything except the B-29 - was it actually used by the B-17 and B-24?

Just for example I took the measurements of the B-17 bay from a scale drawing as 2.5m long x 2.2m wide (which seems reasonable) but the 4,000 lb bomb is 2.9m long and 1.2m across the fins (I know this is right according to the official US Ordnance document)

So, I'm thinking either they were not used, or I screwed my scaling somewhere...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back