Fiat G.55

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
I have finally got round to redoing one of the earliest things I ever worked on, and bringing up to the 'new standard' - I'm still hunting for more references for G.55s - especially the brown 'squiggly' camo versions...

Attachments

• Fiat_G55_353Sqn_Dev.jpg
    Fiat_G55_353Sqn_Dev.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,499
Thanks - I want to do a couple of 'pre-armistice' (white cross) a couple of ENR? (flag with yellow border) and maybe 'co-belligerent' (normal roundel) - I'm just trying to find out all about how things changed post 1943....

Clave, there was no G55 operative in the co-belligerant AF.

The few produced before the armistice went with the 'regular' AF (Regia Aeronautica), the production after sept 1943 was delivered to RSI AF (ANR) or Luftwaffe (the factory was in the Fascist-German controlled territory)

The one you drafted has round markings and a '353' number, so it should be the 12th produced of 'sottoserie zero' fighting for the 'Regia Aeronautica' before the armistice: it should not have the 2 mauser MG151 in the wings but 4xSAFAT 12,7 in the nose + 1 x MG151 motoren-kanone.

The ANR markings were the white squared ones, plus a small green-white-red flag on the side of the fuselage and rudder.

Here is a link to G55 story that you may find useful:

G55 - Aircraft History

I have been pondering over those cannon for the past two days, so thanks for a definite view on that! 8)

Also good to know the other stuff, I will post my revised version and my 2nd G.55 soon...

OK, these are the two '0' types I have - now with 4 x nose guns:

Attachments

• Fiat_G55_353Sqn_Test.jpg
    Fiat_G55_353Sqn_Test.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,806
  • Fiat_G55_MontefuscoSqn_Test.jpg
    Fiat_G55_MontefuscoSqn_Test.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,109
Great work Clave !

Here is a link with lots of detail pictures of the restored G55-serie1 (from a G59 frame) currently in Vigna di valle (Rome) museum: maybe you'll find it helpful for the little details.

http://www.ams.vr.it/AircWalkAround/Museo Vignadivalle/Fiat_G.55/Fiat G.55 Centauro pag 01.htm

This aircraft belongs to Finmeccanica, and we have good business relationship with them: I still hope I can bribe one of their executives and obtain a 'privileged' pass for the museum, in case I will surely shoot and post some fiorst-hand pics :)

:D

I found that walkround last week, it is extremely good! 8)

Also just finished my first G.55 with cannons!

Attachments

• Fiat_G55_Nucleo_Test.jpg
    Fiat_G55_Nucleo_Test.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,613
I have just been trying to get thing clear in my head re: Italian Air Forces, so I made this mini-table - I know there is no exact definition of this, but is this roughly correct?

Also:

Regia Aeronautica - The 'Royal Air Force' was formed in 1923 and ceased to exist in 1946.

Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana - 'National Republican Air Force' was formed during WW2 as the Air Force of the Italian Social Republic, and was closely linked to the Luftwaffe.

Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana 'The Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force' was formed in 1943 in the South after the Italian Armistice and fought on the Allied side.

Aeronautica Militare - The current Italian Air Force which was formed in 1946 when Italy became a Republic.

Attachments

• Italy_Explanation.jpg
    Italy_Explanation.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back