Geedee's (and everyone else's) 'OMG, I forgot the colour !' Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
They're great shots Gary, but I see what you mean. I don't know what program you're using, but just desaturating it doesn't work for stuff like that. You'd need to use a gradient map with a bit of a colour in it (brown perhaps, or a yellow) if you're using Photoshop.

If you post one of them in full colour, I can look at it after and try a few things.

Last edited:
They look alright Gary. Personally if you are using Photoshop I wouldn't use monochrome. Use grayscale instead as this generally looks a bit better and is a less saturated.

Thanks for that. Maybe if I made them more sort of 'grainy' , wonder if that would work.

Of course you realise that if I can get this sorted...with invaluable advice and guidance from the audience !... any pics I take at this years 'Legends'may not be shown here in full colour. I reckon that the odd B/W and sepia toned effect, can transform a piccie.

Thanks again

Gary, do a search for a program called "GIMP" if money is a factor. Its Freeware and I love it. Almost like Photoshop and it does work. Actually, I have PS at work and I prefer GIMP. All my stuff I do with GIMP.

Gary, do a search for a program called "GIMP" if money is a factor. Its Freeware and I love it. Almost like Photoshop and it does work. Actually, I have PS at work and I prefer GIMP. All my stuff I do with GIMP.

I'm with Njaco on this. GIMP is a nifty little program and you can't beat the price (free!). I've used it for post-processing work on some of my 3D art.

Venganza

Don't know what effect you're looking for but I took one of those pics and played with it on GIMP. Tried to make it look like it was taken sometime in '44. Only took about 5 minutes but you get the idea.

please don't sue me!

Attachments

• IMG_6785.jpg
    IMG_6785.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 315
Hey Gary, hope you don't mind me having a go at one of the photos...

I use both Paintshop and Photoshop for the bulk of my image editing, Though I have a handfull of other programs, those two are by far my favorite.

With your Corsairs, I used Photoshop. I started with a filter called Film Grain then used just a touch of Gaussian blur, adjusted the saturation hue, then darkened it slightly. If we could dog-ear the corners and add a few scratches, it might look halfway authentic! :lol:

The majority of photographs from WWII had a certain tone to them, and alot of them had a "grainy" look. It's really hard to capture that effect.

I have to add that your images are outstanding, I enjoyed them all! Thanks for posting them!

Attachments

• GeeDee_F4Ua.jpg
    GeeDee_F4Ua.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 291
Hi Geedee,

>I think I've failed !. I cant quite put my finger on it but I'm thinking that modern camera's capture too much detail ?...are they too sharp ?.... or is the topic not quite right ?

I feel the same as you ... the quality is just too high. There are some historical shots out there that are as good as the ones you shot, but they are really oustanding exceptions that give me a "Wow!" effect each time I look at them. (The small rastered reproductions in books we are used to might do its part too ... maybe if you'd scan the negatives today, there's be more "Wow!" class shots from the era.)

A couple of years back I tried my hand at using a 500 mm mirror lens with a 1600 ASA black and white film, and this gave sufficient shake and grain to look a bit like a typical WW2 shot. Unfortunately these are shots I don't have added to my digital archive yet, or I could add one to illustrate what I mean.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back