GrauGeist's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
I've been wanting to post some of my photos for a while, so when I had an opportunity to go flying yesterday, I brought my camera along and those gave me the incentive I needed to start the thread!

I haven't been up in almost 20 years, and I enjoyed every minute of it! It was cold and windy, a strong wind was coming out of the north with strong gusts. You'll see in the photos that there was a heavy haze as well. It seemed as though every time I went to release the shutter, we'd hit turbulance! :lol:

The image quality won't be anything near as good as Eric's, but they're fun shots of the ride! In case anyone's curious, the airfield we flew out of is Benton Field (O85).

Img 1: Here's our ride, a 1966 Alon A2 coupe
Img 2: On takeoff, we pass over the Sacramento river. I bet that Syscom would like the view of the Union Pacific bridge spanning the river valley. That bridge spans roughly a mile.
Img 3: The Veteran's Cemetary that's southwest of town.
Img 4: The 3 Shastas: Mount Shasta, Lake Shasta and Shasta Dam.
Img 5: We're back and puttin' her away!

Attachments

• IMGP6086a.jpg
    IMGP6086a.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMGP6088a.jpg
    IMGP6088a.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 359
  • IMGP6097a.jpg
    IMGP6097a.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMGP6104a.jpg
    IMGP6104a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 348
  • IMGP6117a.jpg
    IMGP6117a.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 351
Killin' me over here. If it isn't raining in PA, it's 20mph winds and they are always right across the runway! California, Texas and Florida. If you want to fly a lot, move there.

PA, NJ and anywhere else in the North East. Hard to get over 50 hours on a bird in a year.

BTW- Nice shots. Had me salivating to be out doing the same thing.

Excellent pics mate...nothing wrong with them at all !.
Looks like you had a great flight and those few pics...bet you took loads more !... are a great reminder of that trip.
Thanks for posting

Thanks again for the compliments guys!

I realized that the caopy is tinted so I'm sure that wasn't helping. We had the canopy open when we first took off, but it was cold to begin with, and as we got over 1,500 it was downright evil-cold so the canopy got closed right quick!

Here's a few aircraft photos I grabbed last year:

IMG 1: My visit to the Mars at Shasta Lake back in July '08.
IMG 2: Lockheed Neptune SP-2H fire bomber (N355MA), number 55, making a drop near my home last summer (2008).
IMG 3: Airforce 1 at Redding Airport during President Bush's visit last July (2008).
IMG 4: A CDF helitack (205) passing overhead after just grabbing water from the Sacramento river, on it's way to a fire that was burning through town last August (2008).

Attachments

• 205_bucket.jpg
    205_bucket.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 329
  • AF1-28000.jpg
    AF1-28000.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 341
  • SP-2H[N355MA].jpg
    SP-2H[N355MA].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Mars_Shasta.jpg
    Mars_Shasta.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 337
Thanks again, guys...I've always enjoyed photography, especially nature shots.

I'm still getting used to the Pentax, and I suppose it doesn't help that I hadn't used a SLR camera in about 20 years :lol:

IMG 1: Here's another view of the Martin Mars at Shasta Lake
IMG 2: How about a closeup of the Mar's props cowling?
IMG 3: This is a Fortnight Iris
IMG 4: While getting some landscape shots, a bee flew past on a mission!

Attachments

• IMGP4135a.jpg
    IMGP4135a.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Engines.jpg
    Engines.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Fortnight_Iris.jpg
    Fortnight_Iris.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Bee-ona-Mission.jpg
    Bee-ona-Mission.jpg