Hahnweide Old Timer Airshow 2009 (Sept 5, 2009)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Yesterday me and my wife went to the Hahnweide Old Timer Airshow in Kirchheim/Teck in Germany. It was a great time! 362 aircraft were either on the field or made appearances at the airshow including:

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4
Focke Wulf Fw 190
Supermarine Spitfire
Messerschmitt Me 163 (glider only)
Hawker Hurricane
Hawker Sea Fury
North American P-51D Mustang
B-25 Mitchell
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Douglas DC-3
Junkers Ju 52
Grumman TBM Avenger
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
I-16

Overall it was a great time. Here is my assessment.

Bad stuff...

The organizers of the event need to get better at this. The aircraft were all parked behind a fence and you could not get close enough to them. I really would have loved to have sat in a few of the aircraft or had my pictures taken with them. So in that aspect they could go back to the United States and see how a real old timer airshow is done.

Good stuff...

Great assortment of aircraft! What more can I saw? Sure there could have been a few more here and there, but what was there really made the show worth it!

Flying Bf 109G-4! As a fan of the Bf 109 (it is my favorite aircraft), to see it flying by and feeling the powerful DB 605 engine (it literally shook the ground) and hearing it roar past!!! I almost had a heart attack! Truly amazing!!!!!!

They did a nice formation flight with the Fw 190, Spitfire and Warhawk! Man that amazing, especially when they did the low pass and all those horses under the 3 cowlings could be heard roaring past your! Man it was amazing!

Here are some pics:

I do not have professional equipment like Eric, so these pics are not that great, but you will get an idea of how fun the show was. You have no clue how hard it is to take a pic of a Bf 109G-4 roaring past you at 650 km/h!

Below I will also post some vids of the Bf 109 flying.

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

M.S. 406

4-3.jpg

5-3.jpg

Grumman TBM Avenger

6-5.jpg

B-25 Mitchell

7-3.jpg

8-2.jpg

9-3.jpg

10-3.jpg

11-3.jpg

12-3.jpg

13-3.jpg

14-3.jpg

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress (Unfortunately did not land. It stayed out at the main airport and would make appearances throughout the day).

15-3.jpg

16-3.jpg

Yak 11

17-3.jpg

Antanov An-2

18-3.jpg

Junkers Ju 52 (There were actually 6 of them)

19-3.jpg

20-3.jpg

21-3.jpg

22-3.jpg

23-3.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4 (The 109 did not land either. It only flew around and then flew back to its "base").

24-3.jpg

25-2.jpg

26-2.jpg

27-2.jpg

28-2.jpg

29-1.jpg

I-16

30-1.jpg

Supermarine Spitfire (including formation flight with Fw 190, P-40 Worhawk, and Skyraider)

31-1.jpg

32-1.jpg

33-1.jpg

34-1.jpg

35-1.jpg

36-1.jpg

Curtiss P-40 Warhark

37-1.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

46.jpg

Focke Wulf Fw 190A

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

47.jpg

Skyraider

40.jpg

Hawker Hurricane

48.jpg

Hawker Sea Fury

49.jpg

50.jpg

Attachments

• 1-4.jpg
    1-4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 7-3.jpg
    7-3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 6-5.jpg
    6-5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 112
  • 5-3.jpg
    5-3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 4-3.jpg
    4-3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 3-3.jpg
    3-3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 13-3.jpg
    13-3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 12-3.jpg
    12-3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 11-3.jpg
    11-3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 10-3.jpg
    10-3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 9-3.jpg
    9-3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 8-2.jpg
    8-2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 19-3.jpg
    19-3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 127
  • 18-3.jpg
    18-3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 17-3.jpg
    17-3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 16-3.jpg
    16-3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 15-3.jpg
    15-3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 14-3.jpg
    14-3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Here is 2 videos of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 flying. Man was it amazing! To hear that DB 605 engine roaring as it flew past! The ground literally shook as she went by. She did not land or anything, but would just make appearances. It was beautiful to watch her soar through the sky and do aerobatic maneuvers.

It was truly a dream come true for me to finally see a 109 fly.

The vids are short though. They may only play with Quicktime Player however.

Attachments

• P9040900.MOV
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
  • P9040911.MOV
    11.6 MB · Views: 166
...Man was it amazing! To hear that DB 605 engine roaring as it flew past! The ground literally shook as she went by. She did not land or anything, but would just make appearances. It was beautiful to watch her soar through the sky and do aerobatic maneuvers. It was truly a dream come true for me to finally see a 109 fly...
I'm the same way with the '190! :lol:

Great photos and it looks like there was enough there to keep you busy sight-seeing for two days!

By the way, was that "Auntie Ju" I saw in a couple photos?

Yesterday me and my wife went to the Hahnweide Old Timer Airshow in Kirchheim/Teck in Germany. It was a great time! 362 aircraft were either on the field or made appearances at the airshow including:

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4
Focke Wulf Fw 190
Supermarine Spitfire
Messerschmitt Me 163 (glider only)
Hawker Hurricane
Hawker Sea Fury
B-25 Mitchell
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Douglas DC-3
Junkers Ju 52
Grumman TBM Avenger
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
I-16

Overall it was a great time. Here is my assessment.

Bad stuff...

The organizers of the event need to get better at this. The aircraft were all parked behind a fence and you could not get close enough to them. I really would have loved to have sat in a few of the aircraft or had my pictures taken with them. So in that aspect they could go back to the United States and see how a real old timer airshow is done.

Good stuff...

Great assortment of aircraft! What more can I saw? Sure there could have been a few more here and there, but what was there really made the show worth it!

Flying Bf 109G-4! As a fan of the Bf 109 (it is my favorite aircraft), to see it flying by and feeling the powerful DB 605 engine (it literally shook the ground) and hearing it roar past!!! I almost had a heart attack! Truly amazing!!!!!!

They did a nice formation flight with the Fw 190, Spitfire and Warhawk! Man that amazing, especially when they did the low pass and all those horses under the 3 cowlings could be heard roaring past your! Man it was amazing!

Here are some pics:

I do not have professional equipment like Eric, so these pics are not that great, but you will get an idea of how fun the show was. You have no clue how hard it is to take a pic of a Bf 109G-4 roaring past you at 650 km/h!

Below I will also post some vids of the Bf 109 flying.

Hi there, and thanks for the peek at your very nice pics. *curtsies*
Ooooh boy, there's plenty of drool stuff there, wish I could have been there.
Seems like you guys had a great time, and those 109 videos are very nice - gotta love that engine sound. ;)

I can understand why the planes were parked behind the fence as you write - if I owned a vintage warbird - or just a replica - I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone near it that aren't my mechanic or general ground crew, let alone sit in it or - gasp! :shock: - touch it all over!
My bet is that it's a bit like the motorcycle community - you don't touch or sit on another guys' bike without permisson, unless you want a very...shall we call it: Loud? :lol: owner barking at you at best, and at worst, you'll end up in the ER, waiting for treatment.
I mean: You don't let a stranger try out your wife or your toothbrush, eh?
(Btw, please don't tell her I wrote this, okay? *laughs*)

My guess is that it's also too time demanding to check out if everything's alright on the plane before take-off, let alone get everyone to move away, before taking off to participate in the different flight displays of the weekend, so it would be easier to just say "No go!" and leave it like that.
It *could* also be an insurance question, but I don't know.

But I *do* understand your wish. All the way.

Btw, try shooting pics of a Red Arrows Hawk making a low fly-by past the entire audience - you have to *move* that camera! ;)
A good trick is sequential shooting and the camera set to "Sport" - that way it focuses faster than with any ordinary setting, and you get a better chance of getting a decent pic. ;)

Last edited:
I'm the same way with the '190! :lol:

She was there as well! Loud as hell! My wife said that was the most impressive thing she saw at the show when the Fw 190, Spitfire and P-40 did a formation flyby low to the ground. She was impressed with the way the ground shook and how loud it was.

GrauGeist said:
By the way, was that "Auntie Ju" I saw in a couple photos?

Yes there were 6 Ju 52s there. For 190 Euros you could get a 40 min sight seeing flight in them. My wife unfortunately was able to talk me out of it.

A good trick is sequential shooting and the camera set to "Sport" - that way it focuses faster than with any ordinary setting, and you get a better chance of getting a decent pic. ;)

This was the final nail in the coffin. Me and my wife are going to finally invest in a good DSLR camera with different lenses and everything.

Last edited:
Nice Videos Chris that DB605 sounded excellant on those decents.I do not think I have ever been to a show with 362 warbirds that is a lot.Cheers Kevin

Dang. Here in Dallas, we're lucky to get a good half-dozen warbirds at one airshow! Nothing against all the stunt planes, the things they do with those birds are amazing, but....you just gotta love the way your bones vibrate when an Allison or Pratt-n-Whitney comes roaring past!

Amazing pics, BTW! :occasion5:

To see and hear a 109 AND 190 on the same day must have been an amazing treat!

I thought that looked like "Auntie Ju", wasn't sure...too bad the misses talked you out of a ride but when they make up thier minds, that's the end of it! (should have said a B-17 ride costs twice that, for less luxury!) :lol:

Glad you had a great time! :thumbleft:

Fantastic shots thankyou!

Love the RAN Sea Fury also that P 40 was restored in Australia I believe. Great line up! :)

As far as the fences go it sucks, however its also the norm in Australia for most large events.

Cheers.

Dang. Here in Dallas, we're lucky to get a good half-dozen warbirds at one airshow! Nothing against all the stunt planes, the things they do with those birds are amazing, but....you just gotta love the way your bones vibrate when an Allison or Pratt-n-Whitney comes roaring past!

Amazing pics, BTW! :occasion5:

Not all of the 362 aircraft were warbirds. There were aircraft from WW1 on up to the 1960s as well as modern stunt aircraft and a few jets such as the L29.

These were the only WW2 warbirds that were there:

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4
Focke Wulf Fw 190
Supermarine Spitfire
Hawker Hurricane
Hawker Sea Fury
Junkers Ju 52 (6 of them)
B-25 Mitchell
B-17 Flying Fortress
Grumman TBM Avenger
I-16
Douglas DC-3
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
Messerschmitt Me 163 (reproduction glider)
Messershcmitt Bf 108 (2 of them)
Fiesler Storch (5 of them)
FW 44 J Stieglitz (7 of them)
Morane Saulnier MS 406
T-6 Harvard (4 of them)
Yak 3

To see and hear a 109 AND 190 on the same day must have been an amazing treat!

I thought that looked like "Auntie Ju", wasn't sure...too bad the misses talked you out of a ride but when they make up thier minds, that's the end of it! (should have said a B-17 ride costs twice that, for less luxury!) :lol:

Glad you had a great time! :thumbleft:

Thats alright, one of the Ju 52s is based only 30km from here, and they offer rides from the airport. I will get up in one one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back