Illustrator Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys! I'm taking graphic design in school, and one of the projects to help us get good with the programs is to choose a photo and attempt to replicate it in Illustrator. I chose this photo, specifically the Corsair:

1670189.jpg

Both of those planes are from Vintage Wings Of Canada. Here's my rendition of it:

F4U-P-51.png

I'm not done yet obviously, as it's missing a propeller! I also don't know how to tackle the glass of the canopy or the wing lights. I may give the Mustang a go tomorrow, depending on how I feel. The Corsair so far has taken me 9 hours! :shock: It's not perfect, and I may tweak the starboard wing a little and try and clean up the wing roundel, but I'm quite pleased with it. I literally drew what you can see in the photo, hence the lack of panel lines. Any comments/criticism/tips are welcome!

EDIT: I had to dumb down the DPI so I could get the image a reasonable size for the forum, so it's a lot smoother in actuality.

Nicely done, I'm not that familiar with Illustrator, I have Illustrator CS5 but haven't used it. I use Photoshop CS5 for skinning in IL2 and when I draw the canopy glass I just do it a light gray or real pale blue and lower the opacity to where you like it then just add highlights for the glare, adjust to where you like it. Make sure you put that layer under your canopy frame. I don't know if this helps, I don't explain things very well to others. :oops:

Here's the finished product, along with a Hellcat I did in CorelDraw X5. I got a mark of 95 on the Corsair and 83 on the Hellcat. Something went weird when I turned the Hellcat into a PDF so the props and exhaust stains look strange in colour.

UlmerCoryPersonalProject.png

UlmerCoryPersonalProjectCorel.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back