Wheels's Photos (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wheelsup_cavu

1st Sergeant
Here are some pictures I took at March Field Air Museum in Riverside on 02/May/2009.

These are my first shots ever with a digital camera.

Here are a couple of the SR-71 Blackbird and the Lockheed D-21/M-21 Drone.
Lockheed D-21 Air Launched Drone
D-21 Photo Archive

Click on the pictures for full size. They are approximately 2300 X 1700.
th_100_0635.jpg
th_100_0636.jpg
th_100_0664.jpg

A BT-13A dressed up up to look like a D3 Val.
The BT-13 was used in the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora."
th_100_0613.jpg
th_100_0606.jpg
th_100_0657.jpg

Some F-4's :)
th_100_0595.jpg
th_100_0596.jpg
th_100_0597.jpg

Wheelsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. :)
I haven't been to Norton but I have been to Chino Planes of Fame.

Wheelsup
When I was in SoCal, Norton was an active logistics and Heavy Lift facility, March was a SAC facility...and Chino was a sleepy little field with an awesome boneyard at the western end that had TONS of goodies all over the place...The Planes of Fame was still the Cars of Stars Planes of Fame in Buena Park (not far from Knott's Berry Farm - other side of the freeway)...

Heck, for that matter, MCAS El Toro was still an active air station and Los Alamitos Army Airfield was still handling NASA/JPL flights...

Times sure have changed, huh?

:lol:

When I was in SoCal, Norton was an active logistics and Heavy Lift facility, March was a SAC facility...and Chino was a sleepy little field with an awesome boneyard at the western end that had TONS of goodies all over the place...The Planes of Fame was still the Cars of Stars Planes of Fame in Buena Park (not far from Knott's Berry Farm - other side of the freeway)...

Heck, for that matter, MCAS El Toro was still an active air station and Los Alamitos Army Airfield was still handling NASA/JPL flights...

Times sure have changed, huh?

:lol:
They sure have changed.
I think the "Cars of Stars" was closed before I moved here but MCAS El Toro was still functioning.
I remember watching them land when I went to a customer in Irvine.
Seeing them come in over Alton Parkway was 8).
MCAS Tustin was still open too. I think it was closed also.

I always thought Knott's Berry Farm was better than Disneyland.

Nice shots!
Thanks Gnomey.

The "Val" is done quite nice. What are pics of those jet thingies doing here? ha ha ha ha
Glad you liked the "Val."
Here are some non jets that should fit right in with your sig. :)

th_100_0599.jpg
th_100_0601.jpg
th_100_0615.jpg

Wheelsup

I was at the march AFB museum last spring.

Fantastic displays they have there.
Not sure how much has changed since you were there but I agree that the dispays were excellent.
The B-47 cockpit mockup that was used in the movie "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart was cool.
The only bad part is that they have to leave so many historical aircraft outside. :(

Wheelsup

Great shots Wheels. I live just a couple of miles from the March Museum and haven't been there yet. It's almost like living in Long Beach for 32 years and never been to Catalina. I was stationed at Los Alamitos Naval Air Station in 65-66 with a S2F squadron, VS771. Loved those planes.

Your a true local just like me Ontos .
I live about 10 miles from the Riverside museum and 15 miles from the March Field Air Museum and Chino Planes of Fame.
Unless you are showing someone the sight you don't seem to go.
I've been to PoF twice and March once.
I have been in California since 79 and never been to Catalina either.

Wheelsup

I'm a native Orange Countian, lived there for almost 30 years before moving north and I visited Catalina Island more times than I can count. Diving, fishing, fooling around...or just take a boat over to Two Harbors (the other town on the island) it's worth your time to go.

It's not really that expensive in compared to taking a vacation in Cancun or similiar.

Catalina is an entirely different world, you gotta do it! It's also one of the very few Mediterranean climates in the world. Taking the ferry is inexpensive and takes a short while, but if you fly, best do it with someone who knows Avalon airport, it's treacherous!

That being said, do you have any other pictures of your visit to March, Wheelsup?

Thanks for the info on Catalina GrauGeist.
I see it most mornings on Channel 11.
There is a harbor camera on Catalina that they cut to most every day. :lol:

I've heard about the dangers of flying into Catalina.
It seems like every couple of years there is a pretty good accident.

Here are a few more from my recent trip to March.

B-29 "3 Feathers."
We were told that it was named this because the pilot "Edward Feathers" had 3 daughters.
th_100_0598.jpg
th_100_0616.jpg
th_100_0614.jpg

Mockup of the B-47 cockpit.
It was used in the movie "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart.
th_100_0675.jpg
th_100_0676.jpg
th_100_0677.jpg

th_100_0678.jpg
th_100_0679.jpg
th_100_0680.jpg

Wheelsup

Last edited:
Been a while since I posted in my own Gallery.
I posted a picture of a car similar to mine in Aaron's gallery in December.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/brooks-photos-16469-60.html#post598854
Thought I would post a couple of mine and see if anyone wanted to see a few more.

My 1988 IROC.
She has 67,000 miles on her and I have owned her since December 26 1987.

100_1260.jpg

100_1263.jpg

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back