Not really a tutorial...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
...but I think it deserves a thread...

This is a breakdown of my 'method'

1: Background image - This needs to be good if the final result is to work. The IAR.80 is my subject, and this is the image I used:

Attachments

• IAR80_Back.jpg
    IAR80_Back.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 80
2: Outlines - I have drawn all the edges and panel lines with major parts separated into their own layers:

Attachments

• IAR80_Outline.jpg
    IAR80_Outline.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 81
4: Colour - Basic fill in the background and camo on top. This layer is below the outline and rivet layers:

Attachments

• IAR80_Colour.jpg
    IAR80_Colour.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 77
6: Mesh - This 'shapes' the whole thing, there are many meshes for all the different parts - only tiny items or things that are completely flat have no mesh. Here is the mesh(es) on their own:

Attachments

• IAR80_Mesh.jpg
    IAR80_Mesh.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 73
7: Shadows: More layers - usually just the wings and tailpane, but sometimes other parts have shadows too:

Attachments

• IAR80_Colour_Mesh_Shadow.jpg
    IAR80_Colour_Mesh_Shadow.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 79
That's it - There are 75 layers in total, and the final drawing is exported out as a jpg or psd file. I save it at 300dpi for my deviantART prints, and here's an idea of what that looks like:

Attachments

• IAR80_HiRes_sample.jpg
    IAR80_HiRes_sample.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 81
Thanks! 8)

I think it's because my proper job involves drawing and making a lot changes, I wanted to evolve something that could be changed fairly easily and scaled to any size...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back