Ontos's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ontos

Tech Sergeant
Mar 8, 2009
Riverside, California
Here are some of my first shots. I used the flash on some and turned it off on others. I did a Little cropping etc. I also played with some filters. Need a lot more practice. Please critique. I think I should move this over to "Personal Gallery". How do you do that?

IMG_0016A.jpg

IMG_0012A.jpg

IMG_0009A.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005A.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some of my first shots. I used the flash on some and turned it off on others. I did a Little cropping etc. I also played with some filters. Need a lot more practice. Please critique.
You're doing the best thing a person can do, practice!

For your first pictures, these are really good. Matter of fact, I really like the photo with the Ironwood (or Manzanita) in it. The flower closeup was good as well. For closeups like that, where a flash isn't used (but not direct sunlight), I'll have the shutter @ 1/250, aperature @ about f5.6 and the ISO @ 400. If I use a fill flash, then I'll usually have the shutter @ 1/125, aperature @ f16 or so and the ISO @ 400. Of course, I'm using my Macro lense for the closeups.

I'm not really familiar with the Canon, but I beleive it has presets you can use, that you can select for Portraits, Landscapes or Macro. Try using the presets and get the feel of what the camera is doing for you, and then once you see how that works, try doing it yourself!

I think I should move this over to "Personal Gallery". How do you do that?
You can ask a moderator to help you move this.

But all in all, well done! :thumbright:

Last edited:
A good start. You're doing well, but I didn't see any KC shots in there. ;)

Getting flowers is always an interesting challenge. Depending on your DOF, you can end up with a couple real sharp and the others soft, or a more uniform focus. It's a matter of personal choice and taste.

Good first shots, I like the second and some of the later ones. Agree with GG's comments.

I think I should move this over to "Personal Gallery". How do you do that?

You can ask a moderator to help you move this.

But all in all, well done! :thumbright:

Done.

Thanks for the encouragement, I am going to try the KC attack at the Air Museum, Tuesday. At least if I'm going to close my eyes and fire away I might get something good :lol: I had the camera on full auto then tried the auto in portrait and the other stuff. I don't care to much for the way my pictures came out with the flash on, so I turned it off. I think for the flowers and bugs, I'm going to have to get a Macro, right, for them to come out good? OH, so much to do, and so little time. :( Thanks for moving this for me.

ontos, do you have the Rebel Xsi. If so, it's a great instrument. It's what I use and I love it. I'm still learning with it. Just take your time and listen to these guys, if you get frustrated just lay it down for a little while and cool off. Your stuff looks great so far, keep up the good work!:thumbright:

Affirmative, EOS, Rebel Xsi, my wife gave it to me for an early fathers day. In reality she always wanted one, don't figure, after 44 years I can finally read her mind :D

Hi Wheels, I hope to be at the Palm Springs Air Museum on Tuesday, tomorrow. If all things go according to plan. This is the definition of KC taken from my thread "Need Help With New Camera",

By: Eric Vangilder

"Do 'kamikaze camera' (my favorite thing to do when bored at the airport, yes it does happen sometimes). Kamikaze camera is setting your camera on a basic setting like 1/250 with a standard lens, not a big zoom. Hold the camera out in front of you, or over your head, or at a weird angle and blindly take the photo. Most of the shots will be crap, but who cares? It's digital. Plus for every 30-40 crap shots play KC, you get something cool or interesting. This will help you break the 'film cost fear' of photography that makes you want to only take safe shots".

Hey guys, I'm playing with an idea I've been thinking of for quite awhile. I finally have a chance to work on it. I'm just learning to use Photo manipulation and made this concept for the PBR Vets. Please take a look and give any advice on making it better. I'm not sure of all the tools in Photoshop CS3 so experimenting with tutorials I find online (cheap). If anyone could come up with a title that would be great too.

PastorPresent2.jpg

Ontos, that's what I use on my shots. I have the same two lenses that you've got and they seem to work very well for me. I have looked into some specialty lenses but for now I'll stick with what I've got. My barn photos were shot with the 18 x55, 58mm lense.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. Aaron your barn shots came out so good, I think I'll stick with the same two. :) 8)

Before I got the 18-200, I used the 28-80 for landscape and static shots. The 18-200 has become one of my favorite lenses. I use it for landscape and nature photography, static and taxiing aircraft and air-to-air.

If you are talking about Canon, IS means Image Stabilization. For Nikon, they call it VR, or Vibration Reduction. Both basicaly stabilize the image from camera shake. My 28-80 does not have VR, where my 18-200mm does have VR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back