Pics from our visit of New Jersey, N.Y.C. and Long Island (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
Hello,

we (my friend Anton and me) got back to CZ this Thursday. It´s been a short time trip with two different faces...
First of all we wanted to see our friend, a WW2 veteran Joe Owsianik from South Plainfield, NJ who is now hospitalized in VA...which was very emotional for me.
The other face of this trip was our visit of American Air Power Museum at Long Island and ride on a T-6 Texan which I have never expected...
So step by step, I´m only sorry for the pics quality...I´have never been and will never be a good cameraman...

Last edited:
I have to start with the pics of 'our' hero Joe. He visited us twice in our country and we visited him in 2006 for a first time. We´ve been in pretty intesive touch since Sept 2004. During the first 6 months of our friendship I received and sent 200 e-mails (400 in total!). This I´ll never forget.
Anyhow, we got the word that he´s not in a best shape so we decided to go to see him. Someone in the heaven must love me (can´t tell you why) as 3 months ago I won a flight ticket to N.Y.C. in a loterry...
We have visited Joe 3 times during our visit. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. He´s still in bed, weak, but orientated. He recognized us and really appreciated our visit. I believe and hope that we lifted his spirit up.
Our last visit was very, very emotional for me. I saw tears in his eyes and I started crying and could stop it...it´s hard to desribe the feelings but he takes me and my friend Anton as his own sons...and I take him as my own grandpa as I have never got to know my grandpa from my mother´ side who passed away before I was born and my grandpa from my father´s side passed away when I was 12...it´s just more than a friendship...
1st pics shows (from L to R) Nic (Joe´s grandson), my friend Anton and me in front of VA Hospital in New Jersey. Second one- Joe with me, third one shows Joe with a plate that was shown him from a mayor of Rudice, a small village where Joe´s Fort went down, fourth pic shows Joe with a picture made up by my son Tommy and fifth picture shows us in front of POW´s stone close to this hospital.

Attachments

• pic 380.jpg
    pic 380.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 282
  • pic 381.jpg
    pic 381.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 282
  • pic 384.jpg
    pic 384.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 293
  • pic 387.jpg
    pic 387.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 281
  • pic 421.jpg
    pic 421.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Pics from VA...3rd and 4th pics show a case in Joe´s room. He has pics of my kids and Anton´s daughter on it...

Attachments

• pic 442.jpg
    pic 442.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 271
  • pic 440.jpg
    pic 440.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 263
  • pic 432.jpg
    pic 432.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 248
  • pic 425.jpg
    pic 425.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 288
All for one, one for all...
Last pics shows (L-R) Josie (Joe´s wife for 66 years), Nic (Joe´s grandson), Joe, Anton (my friend), me and Nancy (Joe´s daughter). Gotta say that Joe must be proud of his family. They really love him!

Attachments

• pic 443.jpg
    pic 443.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 289
  • pic 445.jpg
    pic 445.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 292
  • pic 482.jpg
    pic 482.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Few pics form South Plainfield.
1st and 2nd pic show the Sal´s Spirit Shoppe and bar at Park Ave, we spent there every nite during our stay in South Plainfield. They do have a really good beer Miller Lite on tap which has a taste of nearly Czech beer.
Most of the other beers that we drunk in N.Y.C., especially Brooklyn´s Lager were....ehmmm...just...ehm...how to tell it...nothing for me...
Last pic shows a part of Joe´s parachute which he landed on in my country. I have never known about it before but we had a time to go thru all Joe´s ww2 stuff so we found it.

Attachments

• pic 408.jpg
    pic 408.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 271
  • pic 411.jpg
    pic 411.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 280
  • pic 485.jpg
    pic 485.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 278
Nic´s appartment in Brooklyn. He lives in a 2nd floor and there´s a pub downstairs...ideal.
We went there the first nite (Thursday 7th) for a beer and there was a nice blond waitress. We joked around about her boobs in Czech (just between us two) and she came to us and asked- Czechs? We just said- Yup...8)
She was from Prague...and kind enough not to mention anything and ordered us 2 shots of whiskey instead...what a beginning...8)

Attachments

• pic 284.jpg
    pic 284.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 272

Attachments

• pic 295.jpg
    pic 295.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 285
  • pic 296.jpg
    pic 296.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 264
  • pic 298.jpg
    pic 298.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 264
  • pic 300.jpg
    pic 300.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 265
  • pic 311.jpg
    pic 311.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
P-47 at the museum. In flyable condition. What a nice heavy weight bird!

Attachments

• pic 318.jpg
    pic 318.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 271
  • pic 317.jpg
    pic 317.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 267
  • pic 316.jpg
    pic 316.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 265
  • pic 314.jpg
    pic 314.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 270
  • pic 312.jpg
    pic 312.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 265
Very cool Roman, I am so glad you made this trip!!! I grew up not too far from where you were at, the pics bring back a lot of memories. Its an honor to see the way you and Joe's family embraced each other!!!

Very cool Roman, I am so glad you made this trip!!! I grew up not too far from where you were at, the pics bring back a lot of memories. Its an honor to see the way you and Joe's family embraced each other!!!
Thank you Joe! They even have 2 L-39 there and flew one of them while we were there!

Great pics Roman, and really good to see you all with Joe. I see Nic hasn't changed - managed to find a good pub for you all !

Hey Roman, great pics and trhanks for sharing your trip with us.

You certainly made Joe's day by the look of it, and that is something to be proud of !!:salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back