Best/favorite WW2 heavy tank (1 Viewer)

Which is the Best/your favorite WW2 heavy tank?

• Renault CharB1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Pzkw VIE Tiger

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Pzkw VIB King Tiger

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Carro Pessante P26/40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T-35

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • KV 12

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • IS 2

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • A22 Mk IV Churchill

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • A12 Mk II Matilda

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • M26 Pershing

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see.... You just got a vacation...You didn't get banned.

LOL!

Hey, Soren, I'm with you on this one; the Ausf. E was nice, the Ausf. B was even better! Many authorities considerer the KwK 43 to be the best tank gun of the War.

P.S. For those of you who care (not many, I know), I've just started work on a Tamiya 1/25th scale Tiger I Ausf. E; I'll keep you posted.

Then my innocent starbucks joke indeed was the primary reason for the ban ? I see.

As a piece of military engineering, the tiger was a marvel. as a practical piece of military hardware it was an unmitigated disaster. The problem was its relative cost, short range, and at times mechanical unreliability. Tiger II losses during the ardennes is revealing. The battalion that attacked through Stavelot against the American positions there crossed the border with 45 Tigers on strength. After three days, the unit was down to 20 effectives, and by the end of the campaign the crews walked out of belgium with not a tank in their possession. Most had simiply ran out of fuel, but many had also broken down and were forced to be either abandoned, or destroyed by their own crews. During Kursk, only about 3 out of the 100 or so tiger Is committed were destroyed during the main battles, yet by the end of the month, not a one of that 100 tanks remained in german hands. The Germans found themselves overwhelmed by the flood of Soviet tanks, and the Soviets had numbers on their side because their tanks were built to a budget, as were the Allied Shermans. The Allies could afford huge losses, and keep on fighting with undiminshed power, whereas each tiger lost represented a near irreplaceable loss for the germans and a significant loss of capability.

Where the tiger excelled were in the long retreats the germans were forced to undertake in the last half of the war. A single tiger took up an enormous allocation of resources to bring down and could hold up an advance for many hours or days. As a nuisance weapon, able to pick off individual tanks at distance, the tiger was a supreme weapon system. as a war winning, game changing weapon, not a chance. Too expensive, too immobile too unreliable, but above all, too few in number

As a piece of military engineering, the tiger was a marvel. as a practical piece of military hardware it was an unmitigated disaster. The problem was its relative cost, short range, and at times mechanical unreliability. Tiger II losses during the ardennes is revealing. The battalion that attacked through Stavelot against the American positions there crossed the border with 45 Tigers on strength. After three days, the unit was down to 20 effectives, and by the end of the campaign the crews walked out of belgium with not a tank in their possession. Most had simiply ran out of fuel, but many had also broken down and were forced to be either abandoned, or destroyed by their own crews. During Kursk, only about 3 out of the 100 or so tiger Is committed were destroyed during the main battles, yet by the end of the month, not a one of that 100 tanks remained in german hands. The Germans found themselves overwhelmed by the flood of Soviet tanks, and the Soviets had numbers on their side because their tanks were built to a budget, as were the Allied Shermans. The Allies could afford huge losses, and keep on fighting with undiminshed power, whereas each tiger lost represented a near irreplaceable loss for the germans and a significant loss of capability.

Where the tiger excelled were in the long retreats the germans were forced to undertake in the last half of the war. A single tiger took up an enormous allocation of resources to bring down and could hold up an advance for many hours or days. As a nuisance weapon, able to pick off individual tanks at distance, the tiger was a supreme weapon system. as a war winning, game changing weapon, not a chance. Too expensive, too immobile too unreliable, but above all, too few in number

The Tigers, while they looked spectacular on paper, were difficult to maintain IRL, and had several major technical flaws.

My vote goes to the Char B1, in 1940 the Germans did not have a single tank capable of frontally penetrating it, and had to rely on larger antitank guns and air support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back