F4U-4 vs YaK-9U (2 Viewers)

F4U-4 vs. YaK-9U

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But why in an air race it's a trainer with a relatively small engine and modest top speed. ( ~280 mph)

Unless it was modified with a larger engine, and a new prop.

No, not a Yak 11. This was an AC that would be able to motor. These planes in the Gold race were approaching 500 mph when they crossed the start line in a shallow dive.

Here's a radial Yak 3U.

Photos: Yakovlev Yak-3U Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Not a production plane, more of a hot rod!

Yak-3U

Rebuilt aircraft with the ASh-82FN radial engine and twin B-20 cannon. Despite the fact the engine was heavier than the previous engines, this version actually weighted less than the standard Yak-3. During a series of test flights started on 12 May 1945, the aircraft achieve a maximum speed of 441 mph (710 km/h) at 20,015 ft (6100 m).

Yak-3/VK-108

An experimental aircraft with the Klimov VK-108 engine. This aircraft first flew on 19 December 1944 and demonstrated a maximum speed of 463 mph (745 km/h) at 19,685 ft (6000 m). It was this version that proved to be the fastest of all Yak-3 variants.

Attachments

• radial Yak3U.JPG
    radial Yak3U.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 232
I think the one on the racing circuit has an R-2000 (DC-4, etc's engine). I believe all flying Yak-3's were produced fairly recently, they aren't even puported to be 'restorations'.

Joe

I think the one on the racing circuit has an R-2000 (DC-4, etc's engine). I believe all flying Yak-3's were produced fairly recently, they aren't even puported to be 'restorations'.

Joe

I believe there were a bunch of Yak-3 fighters made in the early 90s using Allison Engines. A production run of about 12 or so were made using the original jigs (the Soviets still had them). Remember them being for sale for about 300K (going on memory here).

Why would you say you don't know about F4U4 V Yak 9 but definitely the Yak 9 over F4U5? The F4U5 outperformed the F4U4. I don't believe that any Yak 9 would have much of a chance against either the 4 or 5. If memory serves the Corsairs shot down several Yak 9s in Korea.

I would assume altitude to play a major factor here. What altitude were you flying C0WB0Y?

I would assume altitude to play a major factor here. What altitude were you flying C0WB0Y?

Allow me to clarify:

I have not flown the Corsair yet. However, I have flown the Yak-9 pictured above. It belongs to my roommate. Hell of a sweet bird. The F4U-5 pictured above (that is me in the cockpit) is flown by our good friend He hangared the Corsair with the Yak-9 for a couple months this year.

My roommate has participated in several mock dogfights with Corsairs and most often wins.

Although perhaps, it's just due to his superior skill as a pilot.

Is the Yak , as pictured, all metal? Were not portions of them in WWII wood?. Tell us more! Allison engine or a Russian engine? I can keep going but I will try to be patient.

Is the Yak , as pictured, all metal? Were not portions of them in WWII wood?. Tell us more! Allison engine or a Russian engine? I can keep going but I will try to be patient.

Ok...

The Yak-9 is an all metal frame with fabric covering on the ailerons and rudder. It uses an Allison engine that's been overhauled and tweaked for air racing. Right now the radiator is being replaced for weight management and the whole motor will be converted to fuel-injection. We have another Allison on the hangar floor to run tests.

The propeller is obviously not standard. It was hand-built from a Corsair prop. About 2.5 feet were lopped off the original blades and then perfectly balanced and chromed. The new prop alone added over 40 knots to the top-end.

Any other questions?

Ok...

The Yak-9 is an all metal frame with fabric covering on the ailerons and rudder. It uses an Allison engine that's been overhauled and tweaked for air racing. Right now the radiator is being replaced for weight management and the whole motor will be converted to fuel-injection. We have another Allison on the hangar floor to run tests.

The propeller is obviously not standard. It was hand-built from a Corsair prop. About 2.5 feet were lopped off the original blades and then perfectly balanced and chromed. The new prop alone added over 40 knots to the top-end.

Any other questions?
Doesn't seem fair to compare that to a wartime production with a Klimov.

Quick story:

So I'm on the ramp at NAS Oceana and my roommate and I are introduced to a Mr. Hans Meier, who was a Me 109 Ace.

My roommate said, "It's so nice to meet a fellow warbird pilot, Mr. Meier. I fly the Yak-9."

To which Mr. Meier replied, "Ach!!... Yak-9?? Ya, ya... I shoot down 4 Yak-9's over Stalingrad!!"

My roomie was so PISSED.

DSCF2360.jpg

Then for fun, our friend Dale 'Snort' Snodgrass took Mr. Meier up for a spin in 'Little Horse'.

DSCF2366-vi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back