The Greatest Fighter Pilot of WWII... Finalized.... (2 Viewers)

The Greatest Fighter Pilot of WWII..........

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And the P-40 was a piece of shiit dude..... No one will deny that, except u maybe.....

I agree, to an extent. It definitely wasn't the best fighter available, but it was the most [i[most[/i] available. And it got the job done, if it was THAT bad it would have been withdrawen.

The Mohawk was a great aircraft, the only problem was that it was a little slow. The P-40 wasn't a good aircraft, it was just in high supply and in 1940-'42 the RAF was using anything and everything they could get their hands on.

In the hands of the right pilot it was good. The AVG performed almost miracles in those things.

plan_D said:
The Mohawk was a great aircraft, the only problem was that it was a little slow. The P-40 wasn't a good aircraft, it was just in high supply and in 1940-'42 the RAF was using anything and everything they could get their hands on.

In the hands of the right pilot it was good. The AVG performed almost miracles in those things.

Hey D - here's a great site on the Mohawk:

http://curtisshawk75.bravepages.com/

Guys, ur kinda getting confused here... For theatrics, I am over-embelishing the lack luster performance of the P-40 Warhawk... Yea, Chenault and his boys, including Boyington, did a good job fighting the Japanese, when the Japanese had a huge advantage....

But what really set those guys apart from the Japs was the tactics.... Chenault was a God back then..... And he knew his shiit....

I remember, in Boyingtons book, he tells a story about how Chenault had the Tigers all lined up, comin outta the sun, as the Japs attacked their field.... Boyington wanted to drop in on em, but Chenault said wait wait wait..... Finally after they were done strafing and whatnot, he orders the bounce........

Zeros with no ammo and on bingo fuel......... How lucious is that meal????

They tore em to pieces....

The -40 was an ok plane that was produced in WAAAYYYY too many #'s.... Same as the P-39...... A POS as well.... But look how some of the Russians did flying that crate......... They used superb tactics as well.....

ANyways...... The -40 was outclassed in every theatre of the War..... That some were able to achieve success in it proves tactics and pilot skill DO matter....

I couldn't agree more, les. That is an amazing site, FB. The Hawk-75 is well under-rated.

i read this on the internet:

Every great ace has his own distinct style. Hans-Joachim Marseille had his deflection shot at unbelievable angles, Erich Hartmann would have his 'close-range' shot. The strategy whereby you come so close to the enemy aircraft,' that your canopy glass fills with the enemy craft's mass,' and then you fire. Hartmann would become legendary for this tactic. Making him the highest scoring German Ace with 352 kills of all kinds of aircraft. The only other fighter pilot really worth mentioning with Hartmann would have to be Hans-Joachim Marseille, the 'Star of Africa'. The controversy comes into play because of those who consider 3 Russian fighter planes being equal to one western-flown fighterplane. That being so then one is tempted to name Marseille with his 158kills( all against British aircraft) as the premiere fighter pilot.

Hence, as marseille was only 22 when he died, shot down over 150 aircraft within a year without being shot down himself, shot down 17 in one day, shot down some in one sortie with just two 7.62mm's, outturned spits in his bf 109 and so on , I think it's rightful to call him the best deflection shooter and (dog)fighter pilot of WWII.

Attachments

• ki43-004_212.jpg
    ki43-004_212.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 742
He wasn't a great fighter pilot as such but I think Hubert Zemke was an amazing flight leader. I'm reading 'Zemke's Stalag' at the moment and although it's primarily about his time in Stalagluft I it gives little bits of information of his fighting career and also the such dedication and leadership abilities he had.

In anything about pilots I think he would always deserve a mention as the leader of the greatest collection of U.S fighter pilots in the ETO, the 56th FG.

Zemke's Wolfpack are famous, or notorious, whichever you choose! But he was an amazing guy. I think he was one of those leaders you would follow to the gates of hell itself.

Some of the stories from "The Hub's" war after he was shot down are just as amazing as those from in his cockpit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back