The Oldest Plane you have Flown In?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grunau Baby In 1971 . I was 15 years and learned to fly sailplanes at 14. Started to fly in Röhnlerche and Ka7. After that Blanik, M 100 and Finaly Grunau Baby a plane of 1939!!. It is now hanging in a museum. At 16 I learned to fly motor planes with Grashopper,Piper cub planes who were used in WW2 and sold to local clubs here in Belgium. After that we aquired a chipmunk from the RAF and I learned acro with it. Also dubbled in a Tiger Moth Stampe Vertongen. I stopped flying at 22 yrs due to bad eye sight. Shattered all my dreams to become military pilot...from Tiger Moth to Marchetti to Fouga to ...the ground. Now I fly giant scale warbirds:( and still look to the sky!!!

Grunau Baby In 1971 . I was 15 years and learned to fly sailplanes at 14. Started to fly in Röhnlerche and Ka7. After that Blanik, M 100 and Finaly Grunau Baby a plane of 1939!!. It is now hanging in a museum. At 16 I learned to fly motor planes with Grashopper,Piper cub planes who were used in WW2 and sold to local clubs here in Belgium. After that we aquired a chipmunk from the RAF and I learned acro with it. Also dubbled in a Tiger Moth Stampe Vertongen. I stopped flying at 22 yrs due to bad eye sight. Shattered all my dreams to become military pilot...from Tiger Moth to Marchetti to Fouga to ...the ground. Now I fly giant scale warbirds:( and still look to the sky!!!

Is that the Tiger with the covered cockpit?

Yes, Canadian built version as it tends to get a little chilly here for a good part of the year.

IMG_0005.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
I have to join the club of those who flew in the DC-3 as a passenger back in the mid '50's, (Eastern Airlines) as well as the four motor, triple-tail, TWA Constellation, same time. Also, my older brother, who was a fighter jock, (F-89 Scorpions and F-102 Delta Daggers) took me up in a Piper Cub Trainer in 1956 and stood it on its wing so I could get a good view!

Don't know the ages of these but I rode in some type of cub with side by side seating an uncle owned, probably in the mid-60s, then, in 1969, the Navy flew me to New Orleans for a flight physical in a R5D (C-54). They also took me up in a T-34 to either or both, impress me or see if I got airsick. Later I rode in a Navion to Santa Catalina and had a buffalo burger.

went up in a stearman back about 20 years ago, don't know how old an airplane it was, but assume it was at least from the 40's

1938 Piper Cub at KSCG. Before he sold it the owner was asking $10 dollars for 30 minutes in the air so I accepted the offer and had a blast flying around! What a nice ol' bird it was too.

A Stampe SV-4b, build for the french air force in 1946. Flew it as a passenger about decade ago (in the front cockpit).
Behind the stick was a retired B.A.F. colonel (who used to train F-16 pilots) He showed me the ropes with this machine...They also had a Texan at the same airfield at the time.
Best fun I ever had!

C-141B

Tail # 63-8088 "Golden Bear". First operational C-141 delivered in 1965. I was asst. Crew Chief on this plane for awhile and flew all around the world in her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back