Best Long Range Fighter of WWII (2 Viewers)

Best long Range Fighter (over a 1,000 miles) of the 1940's

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LMFAO that would be funny as hell to alter his sig.

But please never lump Hussars in with all us other Canadians.

Hussars is Canadian yes......but he does not represent us all. Don't hold him against us. :lol:

Hilliary Clinton is American but I don't hold that against you. :lol:

you should... especially if, God forbid, she gets elected president.

Hussars, are u fu*kin retarded or just trying to play the meatball Canadian part???

4 times???

U voted for The Best Long Range Fighter of the 40's four times.... That has to be some sort of moronic record here at ww2aircraft.net....

I think we need to alter ur siggy to include the words "Pollster Meatball Extroidinaire"...

Well im sorry, but the option to vote for more than one aircraft was on the poll, I didnt realise what an complete outrage it would be so im sorry i besmirched your site

But im sure as time goes on you will be abble to put this in a drawer :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad. I think I will vote for both the P-38 and the P-51. I like the P-38 because of it's twin engines. If you are a thousand of miles from home, having that extra engine as surety is a big help. The P-51 did not have that advantage, but it was more compact in the sky.

??? voted before reading the thread and went for multiple choices as allowed by the pool.. hope nobody will send me a B17 (... with the current price of gas for me it's bankrupcy to fuel up my 262...)

Anyway my choices are: P51D, Zero and Mosquito, for different reasons and in that order.

I voted for the P-51D. Both the P-47N and P-51H have impressive performance figures, but the D just has too much experience.

I'm leaning towards the Ta-152H-1, it had a range of over a 1,000 miles with the extra internal tanks, and unlike all the other it would've been immune to intercepting fighters while flying around at 50,000 ft.

But the P-51D isn't 'the best' long range fighter. The P-51D was effective because there were huge numbers of it, take away that advantage and things would've looked very different. But what would 100 P-51's have done against 40 Ta-152's flying at 50,000 ft ?? The P-51's could do nothing..

Soren I cannot dispute the performance of the 152, but a range of 1000 miles? Hardly long range when compared to the P-51 or later model P-47s. Sure she could fly at 50,000 feet but what good will that do when it had the same range as later model Spitfires? 1000 miles is a fair range, hardly long range when compared to the P-51 or even the P-38.

But the P-51D isn't 'the best' long range fighter. The P-51D was effective because there were huge numbers of it, take away that advantage and things would've looked very different. But what would 100 P-51's have done against 40 Ta-152's flying at 50,000 ft ?? The P-51's could do nothing..

Why would P-51D's tangle with them at 50,000'???? They wouldn't! Fighters/interceptors are defensive weapons and they wouldn't be setting the terms of the engagement.

Why would P-51D's tangle with them at 50,000'???? They wouldn't! Fighters/interceptors are defensive weapons and they wouldn't be setting the terms of the engagement.

mkloby,

If say 50 German bombers are coming in on the British coast at say 30 -35 kft, British radar detects this and the RAF scrambles its fighters - in this case 100 P-51's - The P-51's makes eye contact with the bombers, but wait something is covering the bombers up high, 40 or so enemy fighters - what to do ? The P-51's decide to attack the bombers before they reach further inland and reach their intended targets. 50 or so P-51's start a head on attack, while 50 or so others are ready incase the covering LW fighters decied to decide to attack. And sure enough 20 or so of the LW fighters start to dive at the engaging -51's, FAST !! So fast that without a chance the covering -51's can only watch as several of the engaged -51's are shot down. The covering -51's decide to concentrate on the LW fighters now and take pursuit, however the climb of the LW fighters after their attack is astonishing and the -51 can't keep up. And as if this isn't enough the remaining LW fighters dive at the now slowly moving -51's in the climb - Break! - more -51's are shot down and the LW fighters climb again at an amazing rate. What to do ? Stay and fight and risk nearly all -51's being shot down ? Or hit the deck and get the heck out of there ?!

See the problem ??

Soren I cannot dispute the performance of the 152, but a range of 1000 miles? Hardly long range when compared to the P-51 or later model P-47s. Sure she could fly at 50,000 feet but what good will that do when it had the same range as later model Spitfires? 1000 miles is a fair range, hardly long range when compared to the P-51 or even the P-38.

On full tanks the Ta-152H-1 could probably fly as far as the P-51..

mkloby,

If say 50 German bombers are coming in on the British coast at say 30 -35 kft, British radar detects this and the RAF scrambles its fighters - in this case 100 P-51's - The P-51's makes eye contact with the bombers, but wait something is covering the bombers up high, 40 or so enemy fighters - what to do ? The P-51's decide to attack the bombers before they reach further inland and reach their intended targets. 50 or so P-51's start a head on attack, while 50 or so others are ready incase the covering LW fighters decied to decide to attack. And sure enough 20 or so of the LW fighters start to dive at the engaging -51's, FAST !! So fast that without a chance the covering -51's can only watch as several of the engaged -51's are shot down. The covering -51's decide to concentrate on the LW fighters now and take pursuit, however the climb of the LW fighters after their attack is astonishing and the -51 can't keep up. And as if this isn't enough the remaining LW fighters dive at the now slowly moving -51's in the climb - Break! - more -51's are shot down and the LW fighters climb again at an amazing rate. What to do ? Stay and fight and risk nearly all -51's being shot down ? Or hit the deck and get the heck out of there ?!

See the problem ??

I get your point - although I was thinking in a historical context - your scenario at that point in the war is not reality. 2nd, I think you are relying too much upon A/C performance data and ignoring the role of ACM and tactics relating to engagements. Just because a 152 is superior doesn't mean the 152 dives and instantly plucks a 51 out of the sky, climbing back up to relative safety with impunity.

I'm not ignoring tactics mkloby, I'm just being realistic here. How on earth are you going to catch a speedier and much faster climbing a/c which has been diving at someone at 750 -800 km/h and starts climbing back up again with alot more energy than you ??

Frustration for the P-51 pilots..... The Ta pilots could probably pick the target, dive in, make the kill or damage and speed back up again, turn around and look for the next victim....

755 miles to 1,250 miles depending on speed and external tankage....

The Japanese Army acquired the license,schemes and papers for manufacturing the Ta 152 in Japan during last stages of the conflict, what was the plans for them, fight of the B-29's? Would they have had licensed the engine as well, or put their own in? Did they have a suitable engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back