Convair Projects

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
Looking for any information, illustrations, 3-views on two Convair projects...

The Convair XP-82...

...and the ORIGINAL XF-92.

Thanks.

XP-82??.

Attachments

• Htwinmust_sch.jpg
    Htwinmust_sch.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 349
Graeme -

My suspicion is that the reference in your first scan is a typo. The XF-92A apparently originally carried the XP designation and was changed during the redesignation process in the late '40s early '50s. The F-82 was the Twin Mustang and it also originally carried the P designation.

These two scans are from a little picture book titled X-Planes and Prototypes by Jim Winchester.

Hope this helps some.

Gary

Attachments

• XF-92A-1_2.jpg
    XF-92A-1_2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 337
  • XF-92A-2_2.jpg
    XF-92A-2_2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 427
My suspicion is that the reference in your first scan is a typo.

Hope this helps some.

Gary

It does. Thanks Gary. I did find a reference to a project MX-82 at this site..

A Brief History of the Convair F-106 Delta Dart

"In 1945, subsequent to a conference attended by Convair, the US Air Force, and Dr. Lippisch, a determination was made that a new and considerably advanced interception aircraft, utilising Dr. Lippisch's theoretical concepts, was needed; consequently, a contract was awarded to Convair for the development of a new experimental supersonic fighter aircraft under requirements of Air Force Project MX-82. The design that resulted, designated by Convair as Model 7002 (known as the "Seven Balls Two" to project engineers and soon to be identified as the US Air Force XP-92) took early form on the drawing board as a ramjet powered delta-wing aircraft with the pilot's cockpit placed inside the forward end of the ramjet intake tube".

(The first scan is an advertisement for an upcoming magazine, from 1976-would have been an interesting article)

I did find a reference to a project MX-82 at this site..

That could explain the confusion. They either picked up the project number, which wouldn't necessarily have any correlation to the designation of the aircraft developed for the project, or it's just a coincidence that the project number matched a typo.

Either way it's interesting.

Gary

That's one I've never seen before. :lol: Looks like an RD-21 with Super Etentard drop tanks painted white sitting on a Japanese WWII float plane stand. :lol:

That Convair XP-92 looks like some spacecraft toy from the 1950s. Those floats would have been very drag intensive wouldn't they?

I thought that the wheels were on a set of floats. I mistook this for an attempt to create a jet floatplane. They looked so much like one of the Japanese floatplane's floats.

I think he's referring to the drop tanks.

No I think you confused him with your "Japanese Float Plane Stand" post, because they don't look like Japanese floats either. You know those rectangular things underneath would not float very well either. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back