F-104 Starfighter.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Is it the most beautifully designed jet fighter/interceptor in aviation history? I certainly think so...8) :D :lol:

f104ariz.jpg

f104.jpg

2320441988_d298ab2b5e.jpg

800px-F-104_right_side_view.jpg

751px-F104_formation.jpg

F-104_03.jpg

f-104-a-24953_a.jpg

Is it the most beautifully designed jet fighter/interceptor in aviation history? I certainly think so...

so theres 2 of us !!!

the american fighters are really pretty machines, but the f-104 is the greatest design ever made !

such beutifull lines !

a video that i had posted before, but worth to post again :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qMTrqGMNI

nice trip ! :lol:

Best looking jet fighter? Not in my opinion. I just love the F-14.

Best looking interceptor? Yeah, I gotta give you that. I just guessing but with those stubby little wings it couldn't have been much of a dogfighter. Am I wrong?

Nothing like having a big jet engine with a seat strapped to it.

This always caught my eye.

"A loop with maximum dry power was started from 500 knots IAS and required about 10,000ft of airspace" - Military Jets/Design and Development - Robert Jackson

Best looking interceptor? Yeah, I gotta give you that. I just guessing but with those stubby little wings it couldn't have been much of a dogfighter. Am I wrong?

No, it was not much of a dogfighter; but, then again, it wasn't designed to be, either. F-104 pilots were taught "energy tactics"; keep your speed up, and make fast passes at the enemy. DO NOT slow down and get into a furball with the enemy, he will most likely be able to turn well inside of your minimum turn radius. Maintain speed and altitude, attack the enemy with missles and/or guns, then zoom away again for another attack. When it was in it's element, and flown properly, nothing could touch it until the advent of the "teen" fighters (F-14, F-15, F-16, etc.).

You do realize the F-14 was an interceptor right?

f-104 is more beautifull than f-14 or any other fighter, interceptor, bomber, spaceship... whatever... f-104 is the best design ever made.

in second on my rank i put the mirage III

3° f-4 phanton
4° mig 25 foxbat
5° f-14 tomcat
6° f-106 delta dart
7° mig 21
8° f-100 super sabre
9° mig 23 flogger
10° tornado

anyway, starfighter, the best of the best designs. i also like that "chromed" looking of ancient usaf jets. its very pretty, like a silver bullet.

f104.gif

You do realize the F-14 was an interceptor right?

No sir, I was not aware of that. I assumed (yes, I know what an assumption will do to you) that role was for the F-15. Besides, I never claimed to be an expert at jets! :) Heck, I'm not even an expert at WWII planes. That's why I love this site. If you don't know, someone will tell you.............

Its a winner! I saw a couple starfighters at the Reno Airshow.
I suspect it did not glide very well...

I like the Crusader too, but I never understood why they had the whole wing section come up to act as a speed brake. It seems they could have picked a better way to slow the plane down.

Was it effective?

I'm guessing there may have been problems or it didn't work as well as planned since there isn't any other plane (that I know of) that uses this method to slow down.

Crusader, heck yeah. Now we are talking.

And JugBR, certainly NOT the MiG-25. May have been an engineering marvel, but beautiful it is not. At least in my eyes. :toothy5:

No sir, I was not aware of that. I assumed (yes, I know what an assumption will do to you) that role was for the F-15. Besides, I never claimed to be an expert at jets! :) Heck, I'm not even an expert at WWII planes. That's why I love this site. If you don't know, someone will tell you.............

The F-14 was a fleet interceptor. Its purpose was to go up and intercept (usually with the Pheonix missile) bombers and other aircraft attacking the fleet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back