KC135 Accident - Walker AFB (near Roswell NM) Feb 3rd, 1960 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe my parents drove onto this base the day after it happenned. We had some old 8 mm color movies of this. I remember seeing about a third of the hanger caved in.

My brother's father (My Mom's first husband) was one of the pilots of the plane I believe (James J. Muller). This story had been told to over the years but I never saw pictures or articles. Even though he was not my father, this accident affected my life in many ways. Can you confirm for me that he indeed was one of the pilots? My Mom has passed, and I do not have any other way to confirm. Many thanks.

Hello and welcome aboard. I searched and could not come across any names associated with this accident. The best bet might be to order an Aircraft Accident report from the USAF. The plane's registration number was: 56-3628.

GOOD LUCK!

My brother's father (My Mom's first husband) was one of the pilots of the plane I believe (James J. Muller). This story had been told to over the years but I never saw pictures or articles. Even though he was not my father, this accident affected my life in many ways. Can you confirm for me that he indeed was one of the pilots? My Mom has passed, and I do not have any other way to confirm. Many thanks.

In response to your article about the KC135 accident at Roswell.
I have a newspaper article about the crash from the Niagara Falls Gazette, dated Feb. 4, 1960 about the crash. !st Lt. James J. Muller from Woodbury, N.J. was killed in that crash along with four other crew members and a hanger Airman. If interested I can mail you the entire article or post it here later. I served 40 months at Roswell and saw another KC-97 blow up just after takeoff in 1956, 11 men were killed in that explosion. Dick Pappa

NEWSPAPER ARTICLE: Niagara Falls Gazette, Thursday Feb. 4, 1960

Jet Crashes On Takeoff; Six Killed
Roswell, N.M.
A fuel-laden jet tanker plane spun out of control on takeoff from Walker Air Force Base Wednesday. It crashed into two sister ships, some parked cars and a hangar, killing six men.
Two other men were missing. The Air Force planned to sift the ashes of the hanger today in another search for bodies.
Five of the dead were aboard the four engine KC135. They were S. Sgt. George W. Short, Bell gardens, Calif.; 1st Lt. James J. Muller, Woodbury, N.J.; Maj. James F. Kelleher, Geneva, N.Y.; Maj. James W. McCormick, Homer City, Pa.; and Maj. William L. Burke, 40, of Flint Mich., the instructor pilot.
Identities of the sixth dead man, and the two missing men were withheld until next of kin are notified. Flames which engulfed the three 41/2 million dollar tankers was fed by tons of jet fuel, triggered by exploding magnesium flares.
The tower officer at Walker, Capt. Forrest Demays, said the four engine jet was half way down the runway on what seemed to be a normal takeoff. Then he said:
"The plane veered to the left side of the runway with the left wing striking the ground. The pilot apparently regained control for an instant, but then the aircraft continued a ground roll in the direction of the parked KC135s."

ANOTHER ARTICLE IN PART: Other casualties of crash.
T. Sgt. Robert E. McCallister of Columbia, Mo., a crew chief, was killed while sitting in his parked car. Seriously injured was T. Sgt. Carlton Price who was blown from a hanger and burned over 50 per cent of his body. Two men were reported missing. They are identified as Airman First Class Raymond W. Brooks, Temple, Tex., and Airman Second Class Harold F. Strong, Stuart, Iowa.

My dad spent 33 years in the USAF and was stationed at Walker AFB near Roswell NM in 1960. He was working Crash and Rescue on the Flight Line while a Pilot In Training was taking off on a training mission flying a fully loaded KC-135A Tanker with 31k gallons of aviation fuel. The official story:

"The 6th Air Refueling Squadron, flying early-model KC-135A aircraft, was assigned to Walker AFB from 3 January 1958. On 3 February 1960, a "short-tail" (non-hydraulic-power-assisted rudder) KC-135A crashed during takeoff in strong and gusty crosswinds. The pilot failed to maintain directional control, rotated the aircraft 5-10 knots too early and the aircraft settled onto the dirt apron of the runway, shed two engines, plowed through the aircraft parking area and came to rest in an aircraft hangar. This single crash resulted in the destruction of three KC-135 aircraft and the deaths of eight military personnel"

My dad said the Fire Dept of the town of Roswell responded open seeing the smoke as they thought the entire base was on fire. It took both them and the entire Base's Fire Dept to finally put out the fire. There were very little of the planes left. Below are the pics my dad has:

I was stationed at Walker in 1960...what was your Dad's name. I was also in Air Rescue.

I went through pilot training in 1970 and each pilot had a selection of aircraft available depending on his rank in class. The KC-135s and B-52s always went last. Mainly because no one wanted to fly in SAC. The KC-135s had pre-fan engines and were under powered. The C-141, which I flew, had as much thrust on three engines as the KC-135 had on all four and grossed out at same weight. We were also told that if you lost water in a 135 you were dead. Once I was number two on takeoff behind a 135 at Mildenhall, uk., and I was surprised to see the 135 turn to go into the overrun, turn around at the end and take off. I couldn't tell for sure but it certainly looked like he took off from the other overrun! At that time, all AF pilots were trained in the T-38, a plane with practically no wing and flew final at about 180 mph, so they were quite use to high speed jet performance. The C-141, with it high wing and T-tail was considerably different than the 135, but I do remember that the C-141 was a bear to land in a gusting cross wind and you had to fight it all the way.

I don't know how I missed this David !
That was one heck of an incident, and I can only think it must have been a very difficult, and terrifying, job for the Fire and Rescue crews, although from experience, I realise the 'terror' would have been later, as post-action reaction set in.
I used to do duty as volunteer Fire and Rescue crew at my local aero club - a small, but busy grass airfield, with four grass runways - and have been involved in a few incidents, a couple of which were fatal.
The worst, and most terrifying thing that can happen, is a 'running fuel fire', like the Roswell incident, which can quickly surround the Fire Crew, regardless of how well-trained they are, and how many precautions are taken, and drills followed.
Although I was once nearly 'toasted' due to fuel under pressure actually spraying over me, followed by a ball of flame igniting the vapour (rapidly 'knocked' by a fellow crew member, thankfully !!), I haven't had to experience a true 'running fuel' fire - thank Heavens!
The sheer size of the Roswell fire, not to mention the hazards of the wrecked aircraft, buildings and vehicles, would have made this an enormous task for the crews concerned, and it's evident they did a fantastic job in containing, and defeating the fire.

I am related to James J Muller - his father and my grandfather were brothers. My aunt and mother remember when their cousin Jimmy died and family story is very different from the "official" military version and most likely truer. The official story my family was told is that there were terrible cross winds and several planes awaiting take off. Jim radioed saying that the winds were problematic and that he requested permission to delay take off due to the weather. He was ordered to take off and the wind shear rolled the plane sideways on takeoff and the plane crashed. He left behind a wife and two children. Was your mom Helen? When did she pass away? I saw her at my grandmother's funeral several years ago, I didn't realize she had died. I'm sorry to hear it. Your half brothers and mom lived in Greenfields many years ago and so did my family and there was another family near them that were also cousins of some sort. I'm a genealogy nut which is what led me here today. I actually was at Jim's gravesite just yesterday with my Aunt doing research - he is buried at the New St. Mary's Cemetery in Bellmawr.

VB - I too was there as a J-57 Jet Engine mechanic. At the time of the crash I was in a base classroom taking the exams for Aviation Cadet and OCS entry. Yes, the winds on that clear day were gusting to almost 40 knots. When I heard the boom from the JP4 cooking off, i ran outside and looked toward the departure runway. Those KC135's left a lot of black smoke at max power, and I could tell fro teh position of th esmoke above the building tops that teh aircraft had tried to come off too early and stalled. First on the number 4 engine, knocking it off its' mounts, which caused the aircraft to roll left and headed directly for the maintenance hanger where there were approximately 50 of my mates working on engine rebuilds. The aircraft careened and caught the number 1 engine on the ground, broke free and jetted toward one of our mechanics on a tug. When he saw the engine coming at him, he jumped from the tug just in time - the engine hit the tug and exploded. At that same moment the aircraft recovered enough to vere starboard and as it plowed into three other completely loaded KC135's on the Ramp, exploding them as well, the aircraft rammed into the hangr next door (The first picture of your fathers that shows the burning hanger). An ocean wave of burning fuel consumed everything on the ramp (yes there were some individuals in cars on the ramp that died from the burning fuel) the three KC135's, cars, and the hanger where it came to rest. BTW there was a parachute training class of some 15 - 25 men being conducted upstairs. They too perished. Besides the eight flight crew, there were closer to 40 who died that day. The next day I saw where the Major, a navigator had died on the ramp outside our hanger (his major insignia had melted on the ground from his flight suit). Such a terrible disaster. Yes -- I did pass my exams and became an Officer, and a Flight Navigator during my 12 year history with the USAF. Regards, Gary

Gary - That is much closer to the information I heard from family members. We were related to the pilot and were told more than 50 people died in that crash. Also, the AF very much indicated that the pilot indicated he felt the winds were to dangerous for take off and he was ordered by the tower to take off due to the 3 loaded planes waiting behind him to take off as well. Whether out of kindness to the family or fact, they made it clear it was not pilot error as they indicated later in "official" reports. I find the "official" record varying so much from the actual information of family members at the time really disconcerting - not surprising but upsetting for the others who perished and were disregarded and for the family of those who tried to do the right thing and were blamed in the end for being incompetent when in fact that was not at all the case. Thanks for sharing. - Debbi

I am related to James J Muller - his father and my grandfather were brothers. My aunt and mother remember when their cousin Jimmy died and family story is very different from the "official" military version and most likely truer. The official story my family was told is that there were terrible cross winds and several planes awaiting take off. Jim radioed saying that the winds were problematic and that he requested permission to delay take off due to the weather. He was ordered to take off and the wind shear rolled the plane sideways on takeoff and the plane crashed. He left behind a wife and two children. Was your mom Helen? When did she pass away? I saw her at my grandmother's funeral several years ago, I didn't realize she had died. I'm sorry to hear it. Your half brothers and mom lived in Greenfields many years ago and so did my family and there was another family near them that were also cousins of some sort. I'm a genealogy nut which is what led me here today. I actually was at Jim's gravesite just yesterday with my Aunt doing research - he is buried at the New St. Mary's Cemetery in Bellmawr.
James J muller is my grandfather. His oldest son James J Muller Jr. Is my father. He passed away about 12 years ago from a heart attack. I am in search to find out any info I can about my family.

James J muller is my grandfather. His oldest son James J Muller Jr. Is my father. He passed away about 12 years ago from a heart attack. I am in search to find out any info I can about my family.

Cynthia - I have a great deal of genealogy done on our family. You can check it out on familysearch.org It is a work in process but I'd love to hear more about your dad and family too. I'm Amber's Daughter. Reds was my grandfather. I'm on Facebook. debbisilverman7. If you friend me I'll message you and we can chat more.

My dad spent 33 years in the USAF and was stationed at Walker AFB near Roswell NM in 1960. He was working Crash and Rescue on the Flight Line while a Pilot In Training was taking off on a training mission flying a fully loaded KC-135A Tanker with 31k gallons of aviation fuel. The official story:

"The 6th Air Refueling Squadron, flying early-model KC-135A aircraft, was assigned to Walker AFB from 3 January 1958. On 3 February 1960, a "short-tail" (non-hydraulic-power-assisted rudder) KC-135A crashed during takeoff in strong and gusty crosswinds. The pilot failed to maintain directional control, rotated the aircraft 5-10 knots too early and the aircraft settled onto the dirt apron of the runway, shed two engines, plowed through the aircraft parking area and came to rest in an aircraft hangar. This single crash resulted in the destruction of three KC-135 aircraft and the deaths of eight military personnel"

My dad said the Fire Dept of the town of Roswell responded open seeing the smoke as they thought the entire base was on fire. It took both them and the entire Base's Fire Dept to finally put out the fire. There were very little of the planes left. Below are the pics my dad has:
Similar experience. B-47 crashes on base at Pease AFB, 1960-1963, 100th Bomb Wing. We lived at 31 Birch Drive in base housing. On two occasions there were terrible explosions and the night sky lit up. On both occasions my Pop was due home from what they called Reflex Missions to Brize Norton AB, England. They were sent out and came home in a Vee formation of three aircraft. Both times my Mom shot to the phone and called base operations to see who crashed. My Pop wasn't one of them but she would begin to cry because she learned which of her friends lost their husbands. We, as kids (I was 8 years old) learned which of our friends lost their Pops and knew they would move away. My Mom absolutely hated the military never saying one kind word about it. That early jet age killed many of her friend's husbands due to accidents and she lived in constant fear of my Pop being one of the statistics. Twenty years of living in fear like that are seldom chronicled in military journals. Military wives and families are different kinds of veterans, but veterans nonetheless.

There were subsequent investigations of the above crashes, which I learned the results of years later from my Pop, with the key findings that, 1) Fast jet bombers required the skills of fighter pilots with regard to reaction times and keeping their heads out in front of the (high speed) airplanes. Transitioning reciprocating engine pilots should be transitioned in T-33s before moving to the new bombers and, 2) At the time pilots were ordered to follow the commands of tower controllers who were not trained in the controller procedures for that particular high performance jet bomber, their higher approach speeds and slower power (turbine spool up times) recovery for aborting. A controller directed one aircraft onto the "runway" on one fogged-in night. The "runway" was, in reality, the base golf course. IOW, it crashed short of the runway killing all 3 crew members. The investigation determined that due to the conditions of that night the pilot could not have recovered.

I remember seeing the burned out wreckage of one in the base golf course the morning after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back