B-26 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
I recently purchased the old Monogram B-26 1/48 scale kit. It makes up to a B-26B version and I was wondering if this is the version that would have flown with the RAF as I would love to do her up as such, quite possible in a desert camo scheme of some sort. I am not skilled enough to perform major surgery on her so it will be an oob build for the most part. Aftermarket decals......anyone know of any that would fit the above build. I have searched but have been unable to find anything that represents an RAF B-26.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jeff

The Marauder II RAF serial Nos FB418 - FB517) was the B-26C, with the Marauder III being the B-26F/G (serial Nos HD402 - HD751), both types serving with the RAF Desert Air Force, in desert camouflage, with 14, 39, 326, 327 and 454 Squadrons, RAF.
The Marauder I and Ia was the small-tailed, short wing B-26A and B-26B.
So yes, if you can find pics of the Maruder II/III, the Monogram kit can be used.

Something like this one?

B-26-MartinFld-Baltim_zpsirsjplxp.jpg

Something like this one?

B-26-MartinFld-Baltim_zpsirsjplxp.jpg

Not quite old boy. That's the factory-finish, pre-delivery colour scheme. As mentioned, all in-service B-26s with the RAF and SAAF served in the Middle East/Desert Air Force, and were in disruptive pattern 'desert' camouflage, somewhat faded at that.
I think I have some pics somewhere, and I've seen colout fil footage too, although good-quality pics are rather scarce.

Found this with the same on another website:

Martin Marauder Mk III - A brand new B26 on the ramp at Martin Field, Baltimore, USA, undergoing final checks prior to delivery to the RAF, England - World War II

According to Warbird Tech, the aircraft is a Marauder III, (HO545, ex B-26F, 42-96472). Jeff, just went through my books and could only find 3 RAF photos. I can send you tech drawings showing the differences in the various Marks. If you want them, PM me your email and I'll send you anything you need.

Geo

Yes, photos of RAF (and SAAF) Maruaders are scarce. There are a few - a very small number - showing the early Marauder I, but not many at all of the MkIII.
There was some film footage posted here on the forum some time ago, showing the aircraft taxiing and taking off, but I can't fin it.
I can probably find a code letter(s) and serial for an example of a MkIII from one of the squadrons, but doubtful on any photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back