Model Master colors to mix to make IJN Gray Green.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I know you experts would know which Model Master colors make IJN gray green. I don't care for acrylic. Im building a 1:48 Pearl Harbor era zero, and I would prefer to use enamel. Assistance in the mix of colors would be greatly appreicated. Thanks.

Here is one color mixing chart I have. It could be a start. Not sure which paint brand it is indicating.

FS34226 in Tamiya would be XF22. Humbrol enamel 78. Could use these for matching and comparisons.

Attachments

• chart-1.JPG
    chart-1.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,819
  • chart-2.jpg
    chart-2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • chart-3.jpg
    chart-3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 922
Here you are ready paints for Zero fighter.

Mitsubishi factory FS *4201 to *6492

model-master-enamel-navy-agg-gray-fs36251.jpg

model-master-enamel-sac-bomber-tan-fs34201.jpg

model-master-ii-enamel-flat-light-gray-fs36492.jpg

Nakajima factory FS *4424 - Gunze H61 IJN Gray

Gunze H61.JPG

Thanks Wurger and the others. I tried Model master sand and RLM 62 Grun and it's getting close. It's the green grey pearl harbor color Im trying to get.

I'm not sure ift the green-grey colour was used for the PH planes.

I hope this color helps out :) A6M3 that I completed for our Carrier GB, Wayne knows a lot about them so you should shoot him off a pm to double check the Pearl Zeros :)

From my experience the color is close to Sky, with just a tint of Green if that helps out :S

RSCN5879.jpg

DSCN5891.jpg

[SC] Arachnicus;973021 said:
When you research it, you find pages and pages of people debating on what color the "white" zeros really were.

That's true. But in my opinion these were of the FS34201 approximately ( like the ModelMaster sample above ). It is because all Zeros participated in the attack were made by Mitsubishi factory . The Nakajima factory started assembling A6M2 at the end of 1942 as memo serves. However the MM colour seems to be too dark and need to be made a little bit lighter with a light grey colour, for example the ModelMaster FS26492 or white. It was a pale FS34201.
The colour for the PH A6M is called "I2 Tsuchi-iro". Although you might find the name " Ame-iro" what means a colour of " fried sugar" or "caramel sugar".

Oh check this out....

So I simply take Model Master RAF Sand color and mix a bit of RLM 62 Grun. I look at it and think, "Damn, that looks to be the right color." But I wasn't sure so I researched it and Wurger and I came up with the same colors of SAC Bomber Tan, white, and a slight touch of Chromate green. I follow the mix of 20 parts Bomber Tan, 11 parts white, and roughly 0.9 part Chromate Green. I add a but more white to lighten it up and compare it to what many consider it to be the correct color.

Guess what?

It looks to be the exact same color as the sand/Grun mix that took me only 30 seconds to mix while the bomber tan/white/chromate green mix took me 20 minutes counting drops with three droppers...lol.

figures.

Sent a pm, but I see you've already found an answer :D

If I did IJN Green Grey in Testors Model Master, I'd mix RAF sky and IJN Grey to get a Green grey :D maybe add another type of green to accent it or a grey/pale white depending on where I wanted to go with it :)

Ok here is the Model Master mix for Pearl Harbour Zero Olive Grey colour. as produced by Greg Springer matching PH Zero relics

Metal surfaces
20 parts 1792 SAC Bomber Tan
11 Parts 1768 White
0.9 Parts 1734 Green Zinc Chromate

With Clear Gloss to Semi-Gloss finish.

Also quoted but not always mentioned.
add 30% White for 1/72 scale effect
add 25% White for 1/48 scale effect

The white additive percentage most likely can be varied to the your personal taste...

I use Acrylics (check my GB15 Zero Build) not Enamels so I can't verify the final colour of this mix and the scale effected additive.
However if Greg Springer says it's so then believe it.

Now, what is not mentioned is an enamel mix for the Fabric covered control surfaces...? which is a Neutral grey quoted as similar to FS36307

Users who are viewing this thread

Back