Replacement Decals for Tamiya Kits?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
Does anyone have experience with getting replacement decals from Tamiya? Misplaced the decals for my 1/48 P-47 and want to purchase replacements.

You can try to send them e-mail with a question if they can help with the decals. Or you can try to find an after market decal sheet with the same markings.

Thanks, actually just looking for the instrument panel decal as the kits panel has not raised instrument detail, just the rounded instrument dials on the panel.

None of the aftermarket decals I've seen have the instrument panel decal.

A pilot panel...you could have said it earlier. So you don't need the decal but photoetched parts.There you will find an excellent panel with indicator dials. Try to this.The effect is much better that these decals.

Trying to find the Eduard Photoetch for the P-47, Squadron shows it is out of stock, locals don't carry too much Photoetch stuff;(
Trying to find some other larger USA based hobby suppliers and see what they have.

OK. Which of Tamiya kit I mean the P-47 variant D,M,N ?

Trying to find the Eduard Photoetch for the P-47, Squadron shows it is out of stock, locals don't carry too much Photoetch stuff;(
Trying to find some other larger USA based hobby suppliers and see what they have.

Try Sprue Brothers. I just did a search and they are loaded with accessories for the P-47 in 1:48 scale. Decals, resin wheels, resin engines, PE-sets - the whole 9 yards. Some of the PE sets are sold out. If you can't find exactly what you are looking for at Sprue Brothers, try this site:

Welcome to Great Models Webstore

Here's a listing of what Eduard has available for the P-47 Tamiya kits:

FE226 Color photo etched set - ZOOM 1/48 TAM P-47D-20

49226 Color photo etched set 1/48 TAM P-47D-20

49240 Color photo etched set 1/48 TAM P-47D-25

FE240 Color photo etched set - ZOOM 1/48 TAM P-47D-25

There are also some P-47M sets available as well. According to Eduard's site, all of the above are available. So you can order direct from them but be warned, shipping costs from Eduard are HORRENDOUS! You might try Hannants as well.

If all you are looking for is cockpit detailing, stick with the ZOOM sets. They're are much cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Web-site.

Model is a Tamiya p-47 D Bubbletop in 1/48 scale.

One way to double check that you are getting the right set is to go to the eduard site, and do a product search for P-47D, then limit the search to 1:48 scale .... then browse the product list and open up the instruction sheets for that product. You can cross reference it with the kit to see if the kit part #'s match up.

I don't know what the difference is between the P-47D-20 and the P-47D-25 so I have no way of knowing which set is right for that Tamiya kit. It might be that EITHER version will work for you if there's not difference in the cockpit interiors. :)

Thanks for all the responses. Trying to find somewhere locally or at least in the USA to buy from as I assume it will take much less time to get the item than if I order from the UK or elsewhere. Shipping cost are probaby prohibitive for just this one little item too?

Thanks for all the responses. Trying to find somewhere locally or at least in the USA to buy from as I assume it will take much less time to get the item than if I order from the UK or elsewhere. Shipping cost are probaby prohibitive for just this one little item too?

If Sprue Brothers has it, their shipping costs scale with the items you buy, so it won't be too bad. One item like that won't break the bank - NOT the case if you order from Eduard direct.

Great Models has a flat rate of 6 or 8$ and then it escalates if the shipment gets oversized. Squadron USED to have a flat rate and they have now gone with graduated shipping costs.

Thanks again, first one looks like what I need. Wating to see what Tamiya has to say about the decals, if they offer to send a replacement set to me I'll go that route. My up-close vision isn't what it used to be anymore and detail on those 1/'48 scale birds isn't all that visible to the naked eye anymore;(

Sprue Brother is out of this item, but I subscribed to have them send me an e-mail when it becomes available again. Hope to have the cockpit tub wrapped up and ready to install this weekend, but this may slow things down a bit.

Last edited:
No problem. :)

And thanks Wojtek for that link. That store has something I was looking for - what are their shipping costs like to the US for two decal sheets?

Don't know if it helps, but far as I know, apart from possibly the odd switch here and there, the panel on the D-20 series was the same. The floor was diffrent from D-25 on - a corrugated, or ribbed floor instead of 'flat'. Or was it vice-versa...? Darn, I'll have to check now!
In 1/48th scale, especially under the gunsight, not much can be seen of the instrument panel. The sidewalls ,and the floor immediately around front of the seat are quite visible though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back