Yugoslavian Captured P-51D? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi guys,

I have 2 P-51D's and one is for D-day the other I wanted to try something different.......

Looking up countries who used the P-51D and it showed Yugoslavia had was captured.

Scroll down and see here
Yugoslav Air Force

Does anyone have info about this bird? Or where I can find decals if it existed and I decide to do it.....

Thanks.

Found one profile. "Weary Willie"

Are these correct markings for a typical Yugoslavian bird?

Attachments

• 111_1.jpg
    111_1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 627
Hey Harry, didn't know you were interested in "our" birds...

The Mustang in question was not really captured, it landed on Yugoslav territory due to the battle damage and was abandoned by the pilot. Yugoslav mechanics repaired the plane to flying condition and she received improvised red star insignia. As you can see on the profile you posted its all original US insignia with one difference - white stars are over painted with red color. Otherwise nothing else indicates Yugoslav Air Force. There were also examples of P-38 and B-17 marked this way.

There was a decal set for this plane (profile you posted is actually from decal manufacture's site), but I don't know if it's still available. Will check that and let you know...

Thanks Igor!

Well, I have two P-51's one obviously for D-day and the other wanted to see if there were any other countries operating beside Britain and the U.S. and just saw this while on the net. I didn't know that was from decals manufacturers website :oops:

Disregard the PM :D

Thanks for your help!

You are in luck Harry. Here's the link for the decal set, just check the link for the reseller for the US...

LIFT HERE decals

Edit: Decals are for 1/72 scale. Hope you will find it interesting...

Last edited:
At the US resellers can't find anything.

Thanks and will keep looking!

Ok they are 1/72 so will get my hands on a 1/72 P-51 :D

Last edited:
EDIT: They do have 1/48 Yugoslavian Fw-190 decals "Titled "Trophies" may do that instead. But they are for an "F-8" is that a typo? Or something I am about to learn?

There's no typo, its Fw 190F-8. This plane survived till today and its currently at the depo of Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade waiting for restoration.

what about

piet

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 249
Cause I've got nothing to build it with. I've had this model for 20 years at least and my airbrush is gone along with all the paints that I had. Model building is something I'll have to stay away from for a while longer until I can better afford it.:)

EDIT: They do have 1/48 Yugoslavian Fw-190 decals "Titled "Trophies" may do that instead. But they are for an "F-8" is that a typo? Or something I am about to learn?

Harry, here's some info on this particular aircraft...

At the end of 1944. Yugoslav Liberation Army overrun airfield near Kovin in Vojvodina. A lot of airplanes were destroyed in the process except a few Bf-109G and one FW-190F-8.

Dipl. ing Ognjan Petrovic conducted a research of this aircraft and his history. According to his findings this aircraft (W.Nr. 930838 ) had old canopy hood unusually for this type and belonged to SchG 2. After capturing this FW-190F was relocated to Zemun airfield were he got Yugoslav Air Force markings. This aircraft was brought in to the service in Lialison squadron in 1945. before end of the war. It was brought out of service in 1946. and Luftwaffe markings were applied to it once again. It was displayed on Kalemegdan in the open for two years. Remains of this FW-190F are now in the basement of the Air Force museum in Surcin near Belgrade.

Colors used: RLM 70, RLM 75, RLM 76.

Color profile is from LiftHere decal manufacturer website.

U72---FW-190F-8,-11.jpg

Attachments

• 402-1.jpg
    402-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back