Hptm. Wolfgang Lippert

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Eagle Editions decal sheet with a Bf 109F-4/Trop flown by Hauptmann Wolfgang Lippert. The sheet itself doesn't identify the aircraft as being flown by him, but other sources have mentioned the lion decal provided was his personal marking. I originally wanted to do one of the two yellow nosed aircraft provided in the sheet, but now that I have it in person, I think I prefer the more standard tropical scheme.

This build used the decal set in question.

IMG_9253lsp.gif

IMG_9124lsp.gif

Does anyone know of other F-4/Trops he may have used? Thanks!

I have just two pictures of Lippert by the tail of his W.Nr 8469 and have not found anything else in my stuff Cory but there's an excellent book by Michel Levigne I could check out in my local Library. Hopefully Wayne will drop in as he'll probably have the best info.

That aircraft may have been flown by Lippert but it was not his aircraft, also flown on occasion by Otto Schulz.
Lipperts aircraft carried the Double Chevron of a Gruppe Kommandeur and horizontal black Bar edged in white for II/JG27 and 25 Black victory bars on the rudder.
The lion emblem was applied on his Bf109E-4, but is not visible on his 'F', if it was a personal marking then it would not have been applied to the aircraft above as this was not his aircraft, may have been a II/JG27 stab emblem?

Looks like you were right Wayne. I found a picture of him in the aircraft, and a profile from a Kagero book about Bf 109s over the Med of another aircraft. I've found an additional profile as well, which is last, but I'm very unsure about the veracity of it.

schulzs-bf109-f-4-trop-jg27-bf-109f4trop-stab-ii.jg27-ii-otto-schulz-wnr-10271-el-gazala-1941-01.jpg

miniTC_34_profile_2.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4/Trop; flown by Ofw. Karl-Heinz Bendert of Stab II./JG 27, Derna, Libya, December 1941

And this last one is the profile I'm iffy on.

BF109F4_Stab%20II-JG27_Schulz_wSW.png

To add some confusion ;)
According Eduard kit 1156: "the rendition of the British lion cowering before a German bullet was the unit marking of II./JG27"
According A.E.U.12 "JG27 Afrika", the rendition of the British lion cowering before a German bullet was the unit marking of Gruppenstab JG27
Oups, I go out... :p

Otto Schulz is in the cockpit of the 109 photo...

Yes, sorry. Re-reading my post I definitely wasn't clear in stating that!

To add some confusion
According Eduard kit 1156: "the rendition of the British lion cowering before a German bullet was the unit marking of II./JG27"
According A.E.U.12 "JG27 Afrika", the rendition of the British lion cowering before a German bullet was the unit marking of Gruppenstab JG27
Oups, I go out...

Thanks Steph, looks more and more like it was unique to the Stab.

Nice picture Andy, looks like it got passed around!

The lion with a bullet heading for his arse, sometimes with a Union Jack flying on his tail was called 'der Verplasterte Albion' (plastered Albion) and was a short lived emblem of Stab II./JG 27.

Barry Ketley notes it was 'possibly only used in Africa'

Sinisa Sestanovic notes that it was introduced in the spring of 1941 shortly before the Balkan campaign and discarded around October 1942. It was not applied to the Bf 109 G-2s to which the unit converted around this time.

The size of the emblem, estimated from photographs, was approximately 450x575mm.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back