Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Was This a Mistake (Old Revell 1/72 Lancaster Special Dambuster)

Post Thanks / Like

Was This a Mistake (Old Revell 1/72 Lancaster Special Dambuster)

After Watching a Program on the Dambuster I found My Self wanting to do a Dambusters Lancaster. Just today I bought one from a friend for 5.00 To do as AJ-T "Tommy" I was thinking of getting the new Revell Dambusters Lancaster but something have been said about it that put me off. I would have got the new airfixs one but I didn't want to waste the Dam that came with it beacuse AJ-T went to the Sorpe Dam and the attack on the Sorpa was done differently to the other two Dams and I didn't get the Hasegawas because it was a little expensive.

However I found the Kit has many problems My friend is going to give a canopy from an Airfixs Lanc because the one it comes with is that looks terrible. I just want to know if and how could improve this kit.

The engine intakes are all the rong shape.

And I belive the propelers are the wrong type as well.

Can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really know how to help, thought I got one of these for my birthday but didn't really want to build it, so my dad took it. We ended up throwing it out as it was pretty bad according to my dad, and wasn't worth the effort since we got it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest way of the correction of engine nacelles is to make copies of the correct ones from the Airfix kit. You can copy the front parts of these nacelles only.So if the model is accessible for you I suggest it. If not you can use a putty to correct their shapes. For this correction and other ones you can use these accessories that can be purchased from this sites fro instance ( the second one has much more things you can find in other folders there).Of course it is an extra expense.For the correction of the prop blades the scale drawings of Mk.III and snadpaper seem to be enough for their correction.

CMK Kits ESHOP
    Engines | Catalogue | MODELCHOICE.net | The best war and civil models, conversions and accessories

Here you are links where you can see works on the Airfix kits with a few additional photoetched parts of Eduard that you can use for your own as well. Unfortunately these are in Polish but you don't need to know my native language for watching of a couple of pics.

Modelarstwo Plastikowe :: Zobacz temat - Avro Lancaster B.III Dam Buster. Airfix 1:72
    grh-pegasus.pl - Zobacz w?tek - Avro Lancaster B.III Dam Buster. Airfix 1:72
    Last edited by Wurger; 04-20-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can give you the pointed props you need, aswell as the Airfix gun turrets, but I should warn you that if you want an accurate replica of a Dambuster, you've got your work cut out for you with that kit I'm afraid... Drop us your address in a PM anyway, if you want the parts.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all the above. I remenber building this kit when it was first released in the mid 1960's, and even then its inaccuracies and 'lumpy' transparencies, and other parts, where evident to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all the pointers will see what I can do if I can get some parts from my friend besause he says hes got alot spares for Airfixs Lancaseter. If that doesn't seem to work as it would be the first model I would do extensive work on. I will get another But which would be the best to get.

Hawegawas, Revell New kit or Airfixs.

There is one thing I forgot to mention that I need the Kit to Have a turret under the body as AJ-T had one.

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by TL Blade; 04-21-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hasegawa kit seems to be the best for the model if you want to start all assembling from the beginning.Also you can save some money if you buy the new Revell kit because it should be cheaper kit than the Hasegawa one. But if you would like to continue building of the Revell kit and avoid the additional expense I would follow my suggestions above. Or purchase the Airfix kit as the cheapest one and start all the assembling again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the Hasegawa kit have the window cutouts Wojtek? This was a feature of the B.III Specials. (This feature is captured in the new tool Revell, but not the Airfix kits)

Post Thanks / Like
    the Revell Lancaster (same issue as this dambuster but normal verison) was my first Lanc ever I can't rmembe it looking that bad once it was built I will try and find the canopies should have at least 2 but if your relally not happy with it I would go Hasegawa the new Revell Lanc is nice but its almost too much for a 1/72 kit IMHO
    Curses Foiled Again!

Tony Hills comment reffering to the He-111 below "I say Hans, the ruddy nose has fallen orf...."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    Does the Hasegawa kit have the window cutouts Wojtek? This was a feature of the B.III Specials. (This feature is captured in the new tool Revell, but not the Airfix kits)
    As memo serves the Hasegawa kit is for Mk.I/Mk.III variants.But these small windows so charakteristic for the Mk.III aren't cut out.But I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that none of the Lancs actually carried the belly gun on Operation Chastise - they were removed as being of not much use at low level, and to save weight.
    I reckon the Revell kit is good for detail, but has a couple of inaccuracies, although they don't spoil the overall effect. The Airfix kit, if anything like the standard Lanc they released in the 1980's is worthwhile, and accurate, although lacks some of the fine detail of the Revell kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Airframes the reserch I did on the AJ-T Showed that it carried the under belly turret throught it carrier as the documentry that I sour showed many picture of the aircraft and you could clerly see the turret on the bottom of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's possible, although the turret was removed from other aircraft. Most pics show the Lancs when delivered, or at Woodford. The turret originally had two .303 Brownings, reduced to one. I'll check, as I have a feeling 'T' was a last minute replacement, hence the turret. Also, some sources state that the turrets were re-fitted to some aircraft after the raid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ye AJ-T was a replacement for AJ-Q Queenie after that lancaster surfered a coolant leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Airframes View Post
    I reckon the Revell kit is good for detail, but has a couple of inaccuracies, although they don't spoil the overall effect. The Airfix kit, if anything like the standard Lanc they released in the 1980's is worthwhile, and accurate, although lacks some of the fine detail of the Revell kit.
    That's a very good, brief description. Agree wholeheartedly.

At the end of the day, you have a choice. Either try to correct the old tool Revell (a bit of work, especially in the fueslage), or get any of the newer kits. Each has it's faults, but almost all offer a fairly decent representation of the Lanc.

Available 1:72 Lancs that I know of:

Airfix - Mk.I/III ('60's), Mk.I/III ('80's), Dambuster (reworked '80's Mk.III with Dambuster components)
    Hasegawa - Mk.I/III, ASV Mk.VII, Dambuster (all approx.'05)
    Matchbox - B.I/III ('70's/'80's)
    Revell - Mk.I ('70's?), Mk.I/III ('05), Dambuster ('93 - old tool with Dambuster components), Dambuster ('05)

Myself, I've made the old tool Revell, and Matchbox kits, and have the newer Airfix and Revell kits (as yet unmade). IMO, the best in general shape and proportions is the Airfix; as Terry said, the Revells shine in their details.
    Last edited by Wurger; 05-06-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: a quotation tag syntax error.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast