Research on a Night fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NZtulip

Recruit
May 18, 2009
I wonder if any one can help me. I am doing some reseach on the crash of a stiring 15 Oct 1942. 149 squad. (east india) out of Lakenheath Suffolks. Information obtained from NIMH in DenHaag. It idenfifies the Pilot that shot down the Stiring as Nightfighter, Oberfeldwebel Bruno Eickmeier I./NJG1. any information on what became of the pilot would be greatful.

Sorry I can't be of help - hate it when your seraching for something and nothing turns up

Good luck -hopefully someone here can help

Anything to do with Luftwaffe nightfighters Erich can probably answer. Or was it information on the Stirling pilot you wanted? If so, I would think the RAF Museum and the National Archive in London might turn up some information. There are people here who have more experience of this type of search than me, but it would probably be better to post something in one of the other threads, probably 'Aviation'. Hopefully, someone can advise on how to go about it.
Sorry I can't be of further help, but good luck with your search.

Dr Theo Boiten has a reference to this claim in Volume I of The Nachtjagd War Diaries.

Ofw Bruno Eikmeier 2./NJG1 Stirling Near Ingen, 5km W.Rehenen: 3000m 23:33 149 Sqn Stirling W7256

It was Eikmeier's second claim.

He was killed 3-4.9.43 in a crash at Brummen near Zutphen after instrument failure in clouds. He had six confirmed victories.

I hope that helps.

Thank you Maximowitz, that will help a great deal. This afternoon on the internet found that he had died on 4 Sep 1943. Other replys thank you for taking time time to post. Greetings from New Zealand.

It's nice to be able to help out, I've had a lot of assistance on this forum and others in my research so to give something back is good.

I totally agree. I joined here as a result of seeing a reference to 625 Squadron, one of who's aircraft i had done a painting off. As a result, I got in touch on the forum with the grandson of the pilot of the Lanc, whom I'd met when he (the pilot crew) signed prints of the painting. Consequently, I joined, and put out a request for help in tracking down an American friend who'd served in the RAF during WW2. Within days I'd been provided with leads, and found my friend!
Since then (August 2008), if I can help anybody in any way, I try.
This must be the best forum going, and I consider all those I 'chat' with as good friends.

Have been left sratching my head with this puzzle..dont wont to be a pain but..

Found that there where 18 planes lost, of this there where 6 wellingtons, 5 halifax, 5 lancasters 2 stirlings 6.2 of the force that night.

The claims of victories on a stirling has been link to more that 1 pilot

Whilhelm Beier 2 stirling 23.16 and 23.19hr
Hans-Dieter Frank - 2 stirling 31hr and 22.56hr

Bruno Eikmeier onlt claim that night was at 23.33hr but states that this was a halifax.

Documents obtain from the Nederlands Initituut voor Militaire Historie NIMH states that Eikmeier had claim to the stirling at 23.33hr ( details collected by de Haan)

I would like is help with the location information of the stirling that was shot down on the 15 Oct 1942 claimed by Hans-Dieter Frank.
Timed at 22.56hrs film 97 and 22.31hrs that Eckmeier had shot a Halifax down at 23.33 what was the location of this claim. film 98.

Dont think it was possible to shoot 2 planes at one time ..dont think he was that good.

any help welcome Anna

Ok, from the same source:

Oblt. Hans Dieter Frank 2./NJG1 Claimed a Stirling at Valburg, 10km S. Arnhem 3,400m at 22:31. The aircraft was actually 106 Sqn Lancaster W4195.

His second claim was at 22.56 1km S. Oss Railway Station at 3,800m for a Stirling. This time it was. 214 Sqn Stirling R9146

As for Lt. Wilhelm Beier of 10./NJG1 he made four claims that night of which only one can be identified:

He claimed a Manchester at 22:52 North Sea 50km W. Leiden at 2,700m. It was in fact Lancaster W4130 of 57 Sqn.

Beier is a controversial figure as very few of his claims can be confirmed. Like Kurt Welter he was a propaganda figure of the Nazis.

Good work Max'.

I've been interested in the Nachtjagd for years, particularly the long range intruder flights over Britain by II./KG51 so it's really just a question of owning the right books!

If you don't have "Nachtjagd War Diaries" you really should, it's a cracking read. Expensive but worth every penny, so credit to Dr Theo Boiten for doing all the hard work. :lol:

I've heard Erich, and others, mention that book Max'. Think I might at least see if the local library can get it. Not a lot of room left on my book shelves for yet another aviation book....in fact, there's no room left!

Ok, from the same source:

Oblt. Hans Dieter Frank 2./NJG1 Claimed a Stirling at Valburg, 10km S. Arnhem 3,400m at 22:31. The aircraft was actually 106 Sqn Lancaster W4195.

His second claim was at 22.56 1km S. Oss Railway Station at 3,800m for a Stirling. This time it was. 214 Sqn Stirling R9146

As for Lt. Wilhelm Beier of 10./NJG1 he made four claims that night of which only one can be identified:

He claimed a Manchester at 22:52 North Sea 50km W. Leiden at 2,700m. It was in fact Lancaster W4130 of 57 Sqn.

Beier is a controversial figure as very few of his claims can be confirmed. Like Kurt Welter he was a propaganda figure of the Nazis.

Would like to know more about Beier as I have markings to do his Ju-88 C-6...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back